SBU cross country shines at America East Championships

Stony Brook’s men’s and women’s cross country teams dominated in the America East Championships on Saturday.

Eric Speakman came in first place overall, winning the 8k race for the second time in the past three years. He finished with a time of 24:41.23.

Speakman became the first Seawolf ever to win two separate cross country titles.

He also received the Elite 18 Award, which is a new conference honor that recognizes the athletic and academic achievement.

The men’s team finished in fifth place overall with a total of 115 points.

This was its eighth finish in the top five in the last nine years.

With 59 points, Binghamton placed first in the meet.

Following behind the Bearcats were UMass-Lowell, UMBC and New Hampshire.

Freshman Michael Watts came in 17th place out of 83 total runners with a time of 25:38.21.

Senior Tyler Frigge finished 22nd with a time of 25:42.00 and junior Mitchell Kun finished 30th with a time of 25:53.53.

Rounding out Stony Brook men’s showing was sophomore Ryan Tancin in 46th place with a time of 26:19.03, freshman Joseph Acito in 50th, senior Matthew Zamparillo in 53rd, junior Chris Sauer in 56th place and freshman Thomas Wimmers placed 72nd.

Christina Melian led the women’s team, finishing in second place in the 5k run in 17:21.77.

The team as a whole racked up 63 points and finished in second place behind New Hampshire.

In the last 13 seasons, the Seawolves placed in the top three for the women’s race.

Junior Tara Peck finished ninth out of 86 people with a time of 18:10.03. Freshman Tiana Guevara took 17th place in 18:32.66 and sophomores Christine Eisenberg, Elizabeth Caldwell and Molly Persky took 18th, 21st and 29th, respectively, in 18:36.97, 18:44.04 and 19:02.32.

Kate Pouder finished 36th in 19:16.13 and sophomore Olivia Ritchie came in 38th with a time of 19:17.81.

The Seawolves will continue their championship season at the NCAA Regionals on Friday, Nov. 14th.

They will take place at Van Cortland Park in the
Bronx, N.Y.