Women’s volleyball defeats UMass-Lowell after falling to New Hampshire

(BASIL JOHN / THE STATESMAN)
The Seawolves fell to the New Hampshire Wildcats in four sets on Saturday. On Sunday, the team swept UMass-Lowell in three sets. (BASIL JOHN / THE STATESMAN)

Skyler Gilbert contributed to this story.

A tough University of New Hamphire opponent, some sloppy errors and questionable officiating marred a historic afternoon at Pritchard Gymnasium, as the New Hampshire Wildcats were able to topple the Seawolves on Saturday afternoon in four sets by a score of 18-25, 25-20, 25-23. 25-20.

Redshirt junior Lo Hathaway had the most digs for the Seawolves in the match with 18. She passed Claire Linder, a Stony Brook libero from 2003 to 2006, to become the Stony Brook all-time Division I leader in digs. Hathaway now has 1,365 digs in her career.

“She brings a ton of energy to the court. She’s definitely the Energizer Bunny that just keeps going and going. If we’re in a lull, she’ll try to fire everyone up,” coach Coley Pawlikowski said of Hathaway.

“Off the court, she’s one of our captains. She’s always checking in with people and she does a really good job of leading,” Pawlikowski added.

Hathaway has reached this milestone in fewer than three seasons, and now has a chance to chase Jessica Serrano’s program record (including D-II and D-III eras) of 1,530 digs.

With nine remaining regular season matches, plus postseason matches, it is certainly possible Hathaway can reach the mark this season.

“We’re really excited that she has one more year with us after this, and it’s awesome to break that career digs record,” Pawlikowski said.

“I mean, that’s a huge milestone that she’s reached in just three years, that most people reach in a whole career, so we’re pretty excited about the future with her,” Pawlikowski added.

Junior Melissa Rigo had a match-high 14 kills for the Seawolves, and in the fourth set slammed home the 1000th kill of her career, becoming just the ninth Stony Brook player to ever reach the milestone.

Rigo also had 10 digs in the match for a double-double.

Redshirt junior Kathy Fletcher, junior Stephanie McFadden and redshirt senior Evann Slaughter all had double-digit kills for Stony Brook, with McFadden leading the team with a .400 attack percentage.

For UNH, junior Madison Lightfoot led the team with 23 digs and junior Cassidy Croci had 14 kills and a very impressive .423 attack percentage.

The underlying story in the match was the slew of double hit calls against the Seawolves, many of which came important parts of the match.

Nicole Vogel had a match-high 53 assists as a setter, but was also whistled for an illegal set six times, causing Pawlikowski to become demonstrably upset with referee Tim Countryman.

Taylor Gillie and Slaughter finished off the first set with a stuff to give the Seawolves the 25-18 victory and it looked as if Stony Brook would give the defending America East champs a run for their money.

UNH was able to rattle off victories in the next three sets, but not without SB fights as Stony Brook put up 20 points in each of them.

With UNH leading 24-23 at the end of the third set, Vogel was called for a double hit, giving the Wildcats a 2-1 set lead.

Pawlikowski was visibly angry and started shouting at the official.

After a similarly questionable call with a 8-8 score in the fourth set, Pawlikowski threw her papers on the floor out of frustration.

She later called a timeout in which she spent the entire time arguing with the referee, letting her assistants address the team.

“We just have to move forward. Unfortunately, the officials took control of the match, but we didn’t play well either,” Pawlikowski said. “In that situation, I’d like us to be stronger than that, play through it and make the officials a non-factor.”

The Wildcats were up most of the way in a very closely contested fourth set, and after a SB timeout, Rigo made it 18-16 with her 1000th kill of her career and 14th of the night.

Stony Brook would not be able to get any closer, losing the final set by five.

On Sunday afternoon, Stony Brook rebounded by sweeping UMass-Lowell in three straight sets on Senior Day for the program.

The Seawolves lost the first point of the match, but that was about the only negative part of the Seawolves first set, which was an absolutely dominating performance.

They roared to a quick lead and it only got bigger as the set progressed as they won the set 25-9.

It appeared to be UMass-Lowell’s turn to dominate next as they took the first four points of the second set.

However, this was a small bump in the road for the Seawolves, as they quickly took a commanding lead and did not look back.

They ended up taking the second set 25-18.

However, the third set was the highlight of a spectacular showing for the Seawolves.

After starting out the set 5-5, they went on a titanic 15-point run off the serves of Emily Costello.

This provided ample fuel for the Seawolves to cruise into a 25-10 victory.

Costello was the team’s lead performer on the day, putting up four kills, five aces, and three digs.

Evann Slaughter also had a solid performance on her senior day with eight kills.

Shelbey Tietjen finished the day with six kills and nine digs on the night.

“I think we did a good job. Coming off last night it was good to see them have a good energy this morning and really respect our opponent and take care of business,” Pawlikowski said after the game.

Stony Brook now has an overall record of 12-10 this season.

They are also now 3-3 in America East conference play and an impressive 7-1 at Pritchard Gymnasium.

That 3-3 record is good for fourth place along with the UMBC Retrievers, whom the Seawolves have already beaten on the year.

The top four teams make the conference tournament, with the highest seed hosting the tournament in one weekend.

SBU is in the middle of a four-game homestand.

It will continue this Tuesday when the Seawolves will host Seton Hall and on Friday they well welcome Hartford.

They will then head on the road for a pair with back-to-back  games against Delaware State and UMBC.