Melian and Speakman shine at Princeton Invitational

(PHOTO CREDIT: AMERICAEAST.COM)
The men’s cross country team finished 20th overall in the Princeton Invitational on Saturday afternoon, while the women’s team finished fourth. (PHOTO CREDIT: AMERICAEAST.COM)

The Seawolves men’s and women’s cross country teams competed in the Princeton Invitational in Princeton, N.J. on Saturday afternoon.

Both teams were looking to expand on their recent success.

The men’s cross country team finished 20th overall, while the women finished fourth.

The women’s cross country came into the meet after finishing 15th in the Coast to Coast Battle in Bean Town.

Junior Christina Melian finished second with a time of 21:12 in the 6k women’s race.  This is her third top five finish this season.

She finished just one second behind the winner Sarah Rapp from Virginia Tech and was six seconds ahead of Elizabeth Weiler of Lehigh.

Olivia Ritchie, a sophomore, finished 28th with a time of 22:20. Sophomore Elizabeth Caldwell finished 38th and junior Tara Peck finished 39th.

Both had a time of 22:33.

Freshman Tiana Guevera had another solid meet, finishing 49th with a time of 22:37.

The team scored 156 points for a fourth place finish out of 35 teams.

The men’s cross country team was lead by senior Eric Speakman.

Speakman finished third with a time of 24:05 in the 8k race.

He finished five seconds behind the winner Thomas Awad of Penn.

This is his second top five finish this season.

The next highest placing Seawolf was Michael Watts, who placed 66th overall with a time of 25:19.

The men scored 540 points and placed 20th out of 37 teams.

They will head across the Long Island Sound to Central Connecticut in New Britain, Conn next weekend to compete in the CCSU Invitational.

This is the last stop on the road to the America East Championships, as the next weekend the Seawolves will head up to Orono, Maine for the meet on Nov. 1.

This meet will provide the starts like Melian and Speakman a chance to prove themselves on step one of a three step process to get to the NCAA Championships, with the first stop in Orono.