Women’s soccer splits America East matchups

(JISOO HWANG / THE STATESMAN)
The Seawolves will take on the Hartford Hawks on Oct. 23. (JISOO HWANG / THE STATESMAN)

Stony Brook had a crucial week of matches this week against Vermont and Albany, as the Seawolves continue to chase a spot in the America East tournament come the end of October.

They split the games, defeating Vermont at home 1-0 on Thursday night before losing on the road to Albany 2-1 in a matinee matchup Sunday afternoon.

Early in the Vermont match, Regan Bosnyak appeared to have scored with her head, but the assistant referee’s flag was up and she was called for offsides.

The Seawolves had seven corners throughout the match and displayed many different plays, including a short ball, a ball into the box on the ground and the typical air pass.

The second of those created the scoring opportunity, as Tessa Devereaux skidded the ball across the turf to the feet of sophomore Hannah Groth, who blasted it past Vermont keeper Adriana Speckmaier to her right in the lone goal of the match.

This was Groth’s first goal of the season, and the assist was Devereaux’s seventh of the season which ties her career-high. She is now tied at the top of the
conference for assists.

Maddie Good slipped a beautiful through ball down the middle of the field, to redshirt sophomore Raven Edwards, but Speckmaier went quickly to the ground to stop the shot and keep the game scoreless.

After the shot, Edwards ran into Speckmaier hard and Speckmaier had to be helped off the field with what appeared as a left knee injury.

Edwards walked away unharmed from the play.

Leah Yurko had a chance to make it 2-0 in the second half against Speckmaier’s replacement Ally Ramos with a breakaway, but Ramos made a very nice save to keep it a one-goal game.

Ashley Castanio recorded the 11th shutout of her career, which is good for fourth in school history.

Vermont outshot the Seawolves 14-12, but Stony Brook had many, many more quality scoring opportunities.

Sunday the Seawolves hit the road to head up to the state’s capital for a rivalry match with the Great Danes.

Devereaux was the lone scorer in this one, recording her second of the season with a left-footed blast from 25 yards out to cut the Albany lead to 2-1, but the Seawolves were never able to equalize.

Stony Brook dominated the game in the first 10 minutes, with the best chance coming from Good when her lunging shot hit the crossbar.

Leanne Miller started the scoring late in the first half when her shot from 30 yards out beat Castanio in the roof of the net to make it 1-0.

Alexa Schneider took the momentum from the first half and carried it into the second half, scoring a goal five minutes in to make it 2-0 Great Danes.

She blasted it bast Castanio from just 10 yards out in a shot in which the senior keeper had no chance.

Stony Brook was able to seize momentum after Devereaux’s goal and create a couple of great chances to try and tie the game, but came away with nothing.

With 25 minutes left, Edwards found Elise Pratt with a cross pass from the end line, but Pratt’s shot was deflected over the bar.

Edwards created a shot of her own in the box, but it deflected off a defender. Devereaux claimed the rebound, but she also struck one off a defender.

Stony Brook outshot Albany 20-14 and held a 7-6 shots on goal advantage.

The Seawolves will honor their five seniors on Oct. 23, when they host the Hartford Hawks, who lead the conference.