Softball Falls to Hartford, 4-3 Hawks’

Courtesy of www.goseawolves.org

The Stony Brook softball team (2-5) put up a battle, but Hartford came throughin the clutch to pull off a 4-3 victory in the bottom of the seventh inningon Saturday.

Stony Brook sophomore pitcher Lindsey DeLaRosa gave up three runs on six hitsin the first three innings before the Seawolves mounted a comeback.

Stephanie Poetzsch entered the game for DeLaRosa and struck out seven battersover the next three and two-thirds innings to keep the Hawks scoreless.

Meanwhile, the Seawolves offense was coming alive. Four Seawolves hits in thefifth inning led to three SBU runs to tie the score. Stephanie DiBiase’s double led off the inning, and three batters later Jen Milito walked.

Colleen McCarthy’s RBI single brought DiBiase home to bring the Seawolveswithin 3-1.

Marissa Servello’s RBI single drove in Milito, and McCarthy reached homeon an error by Hawks first baseman Lindsey Bininger to even the game at 3-3.

With two outs in the seventh, McCarthy blasted a double to left field, butStony Brook could not manage to bring her home.

Hartford led off the bottom of the seventh with a single to left center byBryn Weller, and a sacrifice by Mallory Rapoza sent her to second. Two batterslater, Monica Evrard reached on a walk.

Then, with two outs, Liz Borawski blasted a shot to left field that broughthome Weller and gave the Hawks their first win of the season.

McCarthy led SBU at the plate, going 2-for-4 with a double and an RBI. KristenBrust was 2-for-3, while Servello was 2-for-4 with an RBI to her credit.

Lindsey DeLaRosa was credited with the loss, giving up three runs on six hitsand striking out two. Poetzsch pitched four and two-thirds innings in relief,giving up one run on three hits while striking out eight.

The Seawolves, who were originally scheduled to face St. Bonaventure latertoday, will face the Bonnies tomorrow at 1 p.m. due to weather delays in today’s games. Stony Brook also faces Akron on Sunday, that game scheduled for 11 a.m.