Duke highlight’s men’s lacrosse 2015 schedule

(BASIL JOHN / THE STATESMAN)
The Stony Brook men’s lacrosse team will face off against the Duke Blue Devils in one of the team’s premier games on Feb. 22. (BASIL JOHN / THE STATESMAN)

Kyle Rowe was a bright spot in the 2014 Seawolves men’s lacrosse season, as the now-sophomore posted an impressive 62.5 winning percentage on face-offs. He will bring that talent back to Kenneth P. LaValle Stadium with his new team, the Duke Blue Devils when they visit Stony Brook in one of the premier games of the 2015 slate for the Seawolves on Feb. 22.

The two-time defending NCAA Champion Duke squad will look to back up its win over the Seawolves last season, when the team defeated Stony Brook 14-6 in North Carolina.

That may not be the most enticing home game for Seawolves fans, however, as rival Albany visits Stony Brook to open their America East schedule on March 14. The Great Danes bring with them Lyle Thompson, who made headlines last season for winning the Tewaaraton Trophy as the country’s best player along with his brother Miles, and coming just moments away from leading Albany to the NCAA Semifinals.

Thompson will bring back bad memories for coach Jim Nagle’s team, as the senior devastated the LaValle Stadium crowd by tying their America East Semifinal matchup with mere seconds remaining on the clock, drawing all the attention in overtime, allowing a teammate to score and end Stony Brook’s season.

The Seawolves will stay in the area for the early part of their schedule, playing four of their first five games at home, with the other coming just an hour away in Queens when Stony Brook takes on St. John’s.

The season itself opens on Feb. 7, as Seawolves fans dread memories of games with snow on the field last season, as Manhattan comes to Long Island for a non-conference game.

The regular season ends for Stony Brook on April 24, when the Seawolves head to Connecticut for what could be an important matchup with Hartford. If last year is any indication, spots in the America East tournament could still be up for grabs, making every game count.

Should Stony Brook advance to the America East Championships, play will begin on April 30.