Stony Brook hockey improves to 5-1 on the season

The Stony Brook hockey club hit the road this past weekend to take on the University of West Virginia and came home with a pair of victories. The Seawolves trounced the Mountaineers 11-0 on Saturday before beating them again 3-2 on Sunday.

Forward Nick Barbera led the way for SBU in Saturday’s blowout win, delivering a hat-trick along with two assists. Goaltender Derek Willms was perfect in net for Stony Brook picking up his second shutout of the season.

Sunday’s game was a much different affair. The Seawolves played far from their best hockey, but were still able to complete the weekend sweep thanks to a couple of late goals. Goaltender Todd Scarola picked up the win in net for Stony Brook

The two wins over West Virginia came after the Seawolves split a pair of home matchups with the University of Rhode Island the previous weekend. Stony Brook fell 5-1 in their first game on Oct. 3, before rebounding on Oct. 4 with a 3-0 win.

Through SBU’s first six games, Barbera leads the team in points. He has four goals, four assists and has found the back of the net twice on the power play so far this season.

Forwards Ryan Cotcamp, Vincent Lopes and Sam Brewster have also gotten off to strong starts. Cotcamp leads the team in assists with five and has also has two power play goals. Lopes has registered six points this season and scored three times this past weekend against the Mountaineers. Brewster has added two goals and four assists over the first three weeks.

Chris Joseph leads all Seawolves’ defensemen in points. He has a goal and five assists so far this season. Andrew Balzafiore has also been a big contributor on the backend. He has two goals and three assists in five games played.

Willms, Scarola and Brendan Jones have split the workload in net so far for Stony Brook. Willms has been particularly strong in the early going, winning his first three starts and allowing just two goals.

The Seawolves currently sits at 5-1 on the season. They will once again be on the road this weekend to play two games against Rutgers University. The team’s next set of home games will be on Oct. 25 and 26, when they take on West Chester University at The Rinx in Hauppauge.