Men’s soccer faces two pivotal conference games

After losing 2-0 to Vermont on Saturday, the Stony Brook men’s soccer team (3-8-1) looks to bounce back this week when they take on Hartford (5-5-2) and UMass-Lowell (4-8) in America East play. The team plays Hartford at West Hartford, Conn. on Oct. 15. The game against UMass-Lowell is at home on Oct. 18.

The Hartford Hawks are known for their vicious attacks in the first period, whereas the Seawolves are known for giving up many shots. In order to stop the Hawks, the Seawolves will look to play some lockdown defense. The Seawolves will also need to take more shots after averaging 9.5 shots per game compared to Hartford’s 13.3.

Also worth noting, the Hawks are undefeated at home going 4-0. In order to come away with the win, the Seawolves will need to step up and defense and make sure they control the Hawks’ star midfielder, Romario Jones.

While the game against Hartford is going to be tough going, UMass-Lowell looks to be an more evenly matched opponent. While the River Hawks do average more shots per game than the Seawolves with 11, they give up 13.9. They have also allowed more goals in the second period.While the Seawolves will still need to step it up on defense, the offense should have no problem.