Men’s soccer falls to the Vermont Catamounts

(HANAA' TAMEEZ / THE STATESMAN)
Stony Brook men’s soccer fell to the Vermont Catamounts on Saturday, Oct. 11. The team is now 3-8-1 on the season so far. (HANAA’ TAMEEZ / THE STATESMAN)

The Stony Brook men’s soccer team fell on Saturday after a hard-fought match against the Vermont Catamounts. The final score was 2-0. This loss brings the team’s record this season to 3-8-1.

Vermont’s Bernard Yeboah scored the first goal of the match in the 12th minute, assisted by a pass along the endline from Brian Wright.

Later on in the match, in the 82nd minute, Wright scored the Catamounts’ second and final goal after a pass from Luke Salmon.

The Seawolves managed just six total shots and three shots on goal, the second fewest of the entire season.

Stony Brook had several opportunities to score throughout the game, but Vermont’s defense proved too solid to let anything through.

Alejandro Fritz had a free kick early on, but his shot hit the wall. Later on, Fernando Wadskier had the chance to tie the game when he got the ball six yards out, but his shot was saved by Vermont’s goalie, Conor Leland.

Vermont took a total of nine shots during the game, and five of them were on goal. Wright led the team, taking three shots overall—all of them being on goal—and scoring one time. Stony Brook’s goalkeeper, redshirt freshman Tom McMahon, totaled three saves for the match.

The Seawolves are headed to Hartford this Wednesday to face off against the Hawks at 7 p.m.

They will return home next Saturday when they play UMass-Lowell.