Baseball Sweeps Doubleheader from Rider

The Stony Brook Seawolves used clutch hitting and steady pitching to sweep a double header from the Rider Broncs at University Field on Saturday. The home team squeezed out a late 4-2 win in the first game, and comfortably pulled away early to secure a 13-5 win in the second game. The Seawolves overall record is now 23-18.

The first game started off at a slow pace for both teams. The Seawolves were on the scoreboard first, after a Robert Dyer (Selden, N.Y.) triple set up a Steven Mazzurco (Selden, N.Y.) sacrifice fly to bring home a run in the top of the second inning. The score remained at 1-0 until three innings later, when the Broncos managed to tie the score on an RBI single.

But in the sixth inning, the Seawolves went on a quick scoring spurt that gave them a comfortable lead en route to securing the win. The home team tallied three runs in that inning. Another sacrifice fly from Mazzurco brought in a run, then senior Michael Tansey (Valley Stream, N.Y.) sent a bomb over the left field fence to give the Seawolves a 4-1 lead. Even after the Broncs scored late in the seventh inning, it was too little too late and the Seawolves notched the 4-2 win.

Junior right hander Jeremy Nowak picked up the victory for the Seawolves, pitching 6.1 innings and allowing only 2 runs on 6 hits.

The Seawolves jumped on the Broncs pitcher early in the second game. In the first inning, a RBI single from Robert Dyer brought in Chad Marshall (Paris, Ontario) to give the Seawolves a 1-0 lead. The Broncs eliminated the lead in the bottom of the inning, tying the score at one.

But the Seawolves unleashed a scoring flurry in the second, tallying five runs in the inning. After both Dyer and Steven Mazzurco notched RBI singles, senior Michael Tansey blasted a 3-run homerun to deep left field. The Broncs added a run to cut the Seawolves’ lead to 6-2 in the fourth inning.

But the bottom of the fourth saw the home team add another three runs, including a 2-run home run from Dyer, and go up 9-2. The Seawolves were not done, adding another four runs in the seventh inning, on two RBI singles from senior Chad Rebecca (Mount Prospect, Ill.) and freshman Sal Intagliata (Franklin Square, N.Y.), giving them an insurmountable lead. The Seawolves eventually notched the 13-5 win, after Rider managed to add a few runs in the last two innings.

Senior right hander Mike Errigo picked up the win for the Seawolves, pitching 6.0 and allowing only three runs.

The Seawolves were to conclude the four game series with Rider on Sunday afternoon, but inclement weather canceled both games. The Seawolves face off against the Marist Red Foxes at home on Wednesday. First pitch is set for 3:30 p.m.