Women’s volleyball unstoppable in seventh straight win against Sacred Heart

W_Volleyball_Basil.John
The Stony Brook women’s volleyball team won its set against Sacred Heart on Tuesday night. The team will look to continue its winning streak on Oct. 10 against Albany. (BASIL JOHN / THE STATESMAN)

Stony Brook’s women’s volleyball continued its recent dominance Tuesday night, sweeping the Sacred Heart Pioneers 3-0. The win was the team’s seventh straight, lifting their overall record to 11-7.

The Seawolves took the first set 25-18. The second and third sets were much closer, but Stony Brook came out on top, winning the sets 26-24 and 29-27, respectively.

Redshirt junior Kathy Fletcher led the team in kills and digs, tallying 14 kills and 20 digs. This beat her old record of 18 digs in one match, which she set at Albany. Fletcher has consistently been one of the most effective players on the team, often managing upwards of 15 kills per match.

Junior Melissa Rigo was not far behind, totaling 13 kills and 15 digs in the match against Sacred Heart. Junior Nicole Vogel racked up an impressive 39 of Stony Brook’s 40 assists throughout the game. Vogel has settled into this role nicely, and she has made 541 assists so far this season.

The victory brought Stony Brook’s all-time record against Sacred Heart to 11-0. It also brings the team within one win of tying their longest winning streak, which the Seawolves achieved in 2009.

The Seawolves look to continue their hot streak as they face off against their rivals, playing Albany on Friday, Oct. 10 and Binghamton on Saturday, Oct. 11.