Melian places 14th out of 207 at meet in Boston

Stony Brook junior Christina Melian finished 14th overall at the Coast-to-Coast Battle in Beantown at Franklin Park Friday afternoon.

She competed against 207 runners and finished with a time of 17 minutes and 24 seconds, 56 seconds behind winner Liv Westphal out of the local Boston Çollege.

Westphal dominated the race, finishing 21 seconds ahead of Erin Finn out of Michigan.

Tara Peck, also a junior at Stony Brook, completed the race in 18 minutes and nine seconds, good for 59th place.

Sophomores Olivia Ritchie and Elizabeth Caldwell took 67th in 18 minutes and 14 seconds and 94th in 18 minutes and 28 seconds, respectively.

Meanwhile, freshman Tiana Guevara finished the race in 97th place with a time of 18 minutes and 30 seconds while her twin sister, Talia Guevera, finished in 115th with a time of 18 minutes and 39 seconds.

The Stony Brook women finished the event 15th out of 21 teams, with the Michigan Wolverines taking home the crowd up in the Massachusetts state captial.

For the men, senior Eric Speakman competed in the 8k race and finished 41st out of 184 opponents.

He finished with a time of 25 minutes and 16 seconds, 54 seconds behind the winner Edward Cheserek out of the University of Oregon.

The Ducks had five runners finish in the top ten, while taking the top two places in the race.

Junior Mitchell Kun finished in 86th place with a time of 25 minutes and 50 seconds.

The men finished in 12th place out of 19 schools.

The road to the America East Championships continues for the Seawolves, as their next race will be at the Princeton Invitational on Oct. 18 in New Jersey.

The Central Connecticut Mini-meet is next on Oct. 24, before the conference championship meet Nov. 1. The conference championships will take place in Orono, Maine.