Women’s soccer drops America East opener to UMass-Lowell

(KEITH OLSEN / THE STATESMAN)
The Stony Brook women’s soccer team fell to the UMass-Lowell River Hawks, 3-1. The next home game will take place on Oct. 2 against Maine. (KEITH OLSEN / THE STATESMAN)

After going 3-6 in non-conference play, the Seawolves were set to take on the UMass-Lowell River Hawks (4-5) in their first America East game of the season.

During last year’s conference play, the Seawolves beat the River Hawks 1-0.

The Seawolves would fail to repeat this in the 3-1 loss at UMass- Lowell.

The story of the game was the continual breakdown of the Seawolves’ defense.

After shedding the defense, Emily Bracken, the senior forward for the River Hawks, scored the breakaway goal at the 2:36 mark in the first half.

Then, on a corner kick in the second half, Sinead O’Callaghan, the freshman defender, scored again at the 77:01 mark.

The River Hawks’ final goal came on another breakaway, this time by senior foward Brittany Russo.

During the one-on-one match up with Seawolves redshirt senior goalkeeper Ashley Castanio, Russo managed to get the ball up and over Castanio, scoring the goal and effectively winning the game for the River Hawks.  Castanio had a good game with five saves.

While the Seawolves defense was subpar, their offense was not too bad.

At the 8:25 mark, Raven Edwards, the redshirt sophomore for the Seawolves, scored her fourth goal of the season after receiving the pass from junior midfielder Tessa Devereaux.

The Seawolves even outshot the River Hawks 13-12, although the shots on goal differed greatly with River Hawks having eight and the Seawolves with five.

Also, the Seawolves only received three fouls, while the River Hawks had 11.

The Seawolves continue conference play with a home game against Maine on Oct. 2.

They then go on the road to play the University of Maryland, Baltimore County on Oct. 5.

After that game, the Seawolves have a two game home stretch, playing Binghamton on Oct. 12 and Vermont on Oct. 16.