Edwards scores overtime winner to beat Fordham

(KEITH OLSEN / THE STATESMAN)
The Stony Brook Seawolves lost to the St. John’s Red Storm, 1-0. (KEITH OLSEN / THE STATESMAN)

On Thursday, Stony Brook headed out to Belson Stadium in Queens, New York to take on St. John’s. The Seawolves were unable to bring back home a win, as they fell to the Red Storm 1-0.

Both teams had opportunities to score, but neither team was able to capitalize on that until late in the game, when the Red Storm struck in the 78th minute with a goal from Shea Connors, her second of the year. Allie Moar was there for the lone assist which sent Connors on a breakaway, who then put it in the back of the net. The goal broke a scoreless tie and sent the Red Storm to victory.

Stony Brook’s chances were scarce, but two plays could have changed the games’ storyline. A free kick opportunity from Hannah Groth gave Stony Brook a quality chance to score and give the Seawolves the lead, but the kick went high over the crossbar and the score remained 0-0.

Later, after falling behind on Connors’ goal, Stony Brook sophomore Raven Edwards pushed to tie the game. She was able to create a chance by making a pass to Leah Yurko who was in all alone with the goalkeeper until play was whistled offside, the only one the Seawolves had.

Stony Brook was outshot 18-8 for the game, yet they were able to outshoot St. John’s 6-5 in the second half. Some of the standouts on offense include Tessa Devereaux and Gabi Rosenfeld as they both led the team with three shots. Devereaux has had no problem creating shots, as she has accumulated 18 this year, scoring once and picking up two assists along the way. She will need to keep it up as she will be a big part of the Seawolves midfield when the big games roll around.

Stony Brook goalkeeper Ashley Castanio had another notable game, something that has become a staple for this Stony Brook team. She made some spectacular saves that have become her trademark and finished the night with six of them.

On Sunday under an overcast sky at LaValle Stadium the Stony Brook women’s soccer team took on the Fordham Rams in an out of conference match up and came away with a thrilling 3-2 overtime victory.

In the first half, the Seawolves seemed slow and out of usual form, but after halftime adjustments came out reinvigorated and scored three goals to propel themselves to a win in their final out of conference match up.

After an early back and forth between the two teams, the Stony Brook women soon found themselves down after an early goal by Rams forward Kate McDonnell.

Following the end of the first half, the Seawolves headed to the locker room and looked themselves in the mirror.

“They came to a team decision to add to the grit, to the hard work, and to the execution,” coach Sue Ryan said following the game.

WomensSoccer_092114_10_Keith.Olsen
Raven Edwards (No. 7) scored the game-winning goal for the Seawolves. (KEITH OLSEN / THE STATESMAN)

And add to the execution they did, as Stony Brook came out strong in the second half, pressing the Rams early and often. The relentless pressure on goal paid off for the Seawolves 60 minutes into play when senior forward Megan Rea tied the game with a goal assisted by freshman forward Maddie Good.

With under 20 minutes left in the game, Good scored the go ahead goal for the Seawolves assisted by the tenacious junior midfielder Devereaux and Shannon Grogan.

After 15 minutes of back and forth play a foul on the part of Stony Brook goal keeper Castanio led to a free kick goal for the Rams, tying the game at two.

Two minutes and 15 seconds into overtime play redshirt sophomore Raven Edwards scored the game winning goal for the Seawolves, assisted again by number five, Tessa Devereaux.

“It felt good getting the goal to win,” Edwards said, “Our team worked hard for it in the second half, even though we didn’t come out like we should have in the first half. We redeemed ourselves and came out as the team we know we are.”

From here, the soccer team heads into conference play, which Ryan feels confident about after this win.

“This game was a big positive for us, and a boost of confidence for us being 3-0 at home going into conference play,” Ryan said.

“So I’m feeling good about it.”

Drew Ciampa contributed to this article.