Texas Troubles: men’s soccer drops both at SMU Invite

(HEATHER KHALIFA / THE STATESMAN)
The Seawolves now sit last in the America East conference through six games after losing their match on Sunday against Southern Methodist University. (HEATHER KHALIFA / THE STATESMAN)

After venturing halfway across the country for the Southern Methodist University (SMU) invitational, Stony Brook men’s soccer will be returning to the East Coast with feelings of disappointment.

The Stony Brook men’s soccer team went down to Dallas, Texas, looking to score a win against the Memphis Tigers in the first game. The match was scoreless almost the entire way, until Tigers’ midfielder Hayden Cochran broke through in the 89th minute.

The goal was the first given up by the Seawolves in their last 302 minutes of action and also proved to be the game winner, as the Memphis Tigers went on to beat the Stony Brook 1-0.

While their offense kept Stony Brook on its feet, the Tigers defense was not all too stifling. In fact, the Tigers had just one save the entire contest. While the Seawolves offense did not perform up to its ability, freshman goalkeeper Tom McMahon certainly did by saving five goals.

But that was not enough, as Cochran scored a close range goal in the 89th minute. Stony Brook could have taken the lead in the 16th minute. Midfielder Alejandro Fritz had gotten a penalty kick for the Seawolves, but the Tigers’ goalkeeper, Cody Uzcategui, knocked it away. Uzcategui had one save as the Seawolves went zero for four on shot attempts.

The Tigers went on to have 14 shots and scored one. Each team had two corners. When it came to fouls, the Seawolves had ten while the Tigers went on to have 16.

The Seawolves lost for the second time in as many games in Dallas, as SMU defeated Stony Brook 3-1 Sunday night. This defeat drops Stony Brook to a meager 1-4-1 on the season.

SMU jumped out to a quick lead in the second minute when forward Idrissa Camara sniped one past McMahon, putting the Mustangs ahead 1-0. This would prove to be the start of a dominant first half for SMU, as they would outshoot Stony Brook 7-0.

Camara would then open up the second half with another goal in the 51st minute, making the score 2-0 in favor of SMU.

By the 65th minute, Camara was done scoring, but the Mustangs certainly were not. Stanton Garcia headed one into the net off of a corner kick to all but put the game away for the Mustangs, extending their lead to 3-0.

One bright spot for the Seawolves was that they avoided being shut out for the third consecutive game. Freshman midfielder Dario Vanegas capitalized on a pass from Alejandro Fritz to score his first career goal in the 88th minute. By this time, however, it would prove to be too little too late, as SMU held on to win the game 3-1.

Sunday night’s loss put the Seawolves in last place in the America East conference through six games. Stony Brook currently sits four and a half games behind first place Vermont with 12 games to go on the season.

The team will continue their current road trip in Rhode Island on Saturday, as they take on the Rams at 7 P.M.

Kunal Kohli contributed to this report.