Women’s volleyball drops two of three at Columbia Invitational

(ANUSHA MOOKHERJEE / THE STATESMAN)
The women’s volleyball team faced off against several teams at the Columbia Invitational this past weekend. After winning a set against Fairfield on Friday, Saturday’s busy schedule featured losses against Columbia and Bucknell. (ANUSHA MOOKHERJEE / THE STATESMAN)

After facing a hard loss to Hofstra, the 2-2 Seawolves looked to rebound at the three-game Columbia Invitational.

The girls first squared off against Fairfield. Fairfield was 1-3 coming into Friday night’s match.

The Seawolves got off to a terrific start, winning the first frame.

Unfortunately, they could not capitalize and lost the next three. Seawolves standout outside hitter, Melissa Rigo, recorded 16 kills and 14 digs, giving her a second straight double-double. Nicole Vogel, setter for the Seawolves, also recorded a double-double with 45 helpers and 16 digs. The Seawolves went down 3-1 to Fairfield.

Saturday was a busy day for the Seawolves, with games against host Columbia and Bucknell on the schedule. First up was Columbia.

The Lions had previously beat Bucknell 3-0 and looked to go on a win streak against Stony Brook. Columbia dominated the Seawolves, winning all three sets. Evann Slaughter, the senior middle blocker, led the Seawolves with six kills.

Next up was Bucknell. The Bison were 1-4 coming into the game, having lost all their games in the Invitational.

After dropping the last two games, the Seawolves were looking to close the Invitational with a win.

Rigo came in big once again, this time leading the team with 17 kills and adding nine digs. Kathy Fletcher also had a great game with 14 digs.

The Seawolves managed to beat Bucknell, winning all three sets. The 3-3 Seawolves go to Fayetteville, Arkansas on Sept. 12 to go to the Razorback Invitational.