Women’s Basketball team to take on Duke Nov. 28

(JIA YAO / THE STATESMAN)
The Seawolves are slated to face multiple non-conference teams during their season, including Army, Columbia and Iowa State. (JIA YAO / THE STATESMAN)

Duke. Quite simply, when looking at the Stony Brook women’s basketball schedule, that is all that could be said. Duke.

The Seawolves, under new leadership with coach Caroline McCombs and her staff joining the Long Island community, will have one of the most exciting matchups of any Stony Brook athletic team in the history of the school on Nov. 28, getting a shot at the Duke Blue Devils.

In what will be an enticing game for both Stony Brook, with a chance to shock the world, and Duke, who will look to sharpen up their game ahead of Atlantic Coast Conference play, the Seawolves will have to overcome a returning All-America selection and the second rated recruiting class in the country.

Also on Stony Brook’s non-conference tab will be Army, Columbia and Iowa State.

McCombs and company will open their legacy in the new 4,000-seat Stony Brook Arena with a clash against Saint Peter’s on Nov. 15. Last year’s contest between the two teams ended up in a blowout in favor of Stony Brook, who dominated the rebounding department, sweeping the glass to control the game in a 77-47 win.

As always with Stony Brook teams, women’s basketball faces the brunt of its slate starting right as 2015 begins, with the America East schedule opening up on Jan. 3 against New Hampshire, a tough game which has always proved to be a test for Stony Brook.

Although all conference games are important, meaning the difference between making the America East tournament in a good position and ending up with a bad seed accompanied with a tougher path to a NCAA berth, Jan. 19 and Feb. 22 will certainly be circled on the Seawolves schedules, for players and fans alike.

Stony Brook travels up to the state’s capital on Jan. 19 for a game against their biggest rival in Albany before hosting the Great Danes in February.

After last year’s devastating loss in the America East Championship game to Albany, just after beating them in the regular season on their home court, the Seawolves will look to shock Albany again, this time when it matters most, at what would more than likely be a matchup at the backend of the conference tournament.

Stony Brook will look to best an already impressive record from the 2013-2014 season, after ending last year with a strong 24 wins.

Correction: September 8, 2014

A previous version of this article misspelled the name of women’s basketball coach Caroline McCombs, calling her “Caroline McConbs.”