Women’s soccer falls to 1-3 after losses to Siena and Wagner

(JESUS PICHARDO / THE STATESMAN)
Though the Seawolves fell 3-2 in their matchup against the Siena Saints this past Thursday, Brittany Edwards was able to net her first multi-goal game of her career at Stony Brook. (JESUS PICHARDO / THE STATESMAN)

Last Thursday the Seawolves battled against the Siena Saints, but fell by a final score of 3-2. Sophomore Raven Edwards led the offense, scoring both of the goals for the Seawolves. The brace was Edwards’ first multi-goal game of her career at Stony Brook.

Edwards broke the scoring open early, with her first goal coming in the eighth minute. Siena tied it up 10 minutes later and took the lead in the 43rd minute. The Saints then scored their third goal in the 54th minute.

Edwards scored the second goal for Stony Brook in the 60th minute of the game, assisted by junior Tessa Deveraux. This was Deveraux’s tenth assist of her career, bringing her within two of being in the top 10 leaders at Stony Brook.

The Seawolves kept the Saints at bay for most of the second half, only allowing three shots in total. Unfortunately, one of the three was a goal.

On Sunday, Stony Brook put up a fight against the Wagner Seahawks, ultimately getting defeated 2-0. Despite being shut out, the Seawolves played hard as ever. Stony Brook had 15 shots in total, with nine of them being on goal. The Seahawks’ goalie was able to block all nine shots, deterring the Seawolves from scoring for the entire duration of the match.

The game was scoreless through the first half. Wagner’s first goal came during the 54th minute after the ball made its way towards a Wagner player when Stony Brook’s goalie, senior Ashley Castanio, crashed into another Wagner player, leaving the goal open. Wagner scored again in the 77th minute when the Seahawks’ Daniella Davis snuck a shot just out of Castanio’s reach.

Senior Shannon Grogan took four of Stony Brook’s 15 shots and three of their nine shots on goal. She led the team in both these categories. Grogan played hard the whole match, but her best chance at scoring was shot directly at the goalkeeper.

The Seawolves will return home this Thursday to take on Seton Hall. The game is set to begin at 7 p.m.