Men’s Soccer starts off season with pair of losses in Connecticut

(MEHMET TEMEL / THE STATESMAN)
Stony Brook men’s soccer will host Lehigh this Friday at 7 p.m. in LaValle Stadium, where the Seawolves will look to rebound from their loss against Central Connecticut on the road this past Friday. (MEHMET TEMEL / THE STATESMAN)

Stony Brook’s men’s soccer team opened up their 2014 season with a 1-0 loss on the road against Central Connecticut.

The lone Blue Devils goal came in the 53rd minute after a sluggish first half that featured just seven combined shots. Freddy Mettellus received a pass from midfielder Stephen Walmsley, and beat Seawolves goalkeeper Tom McMahon to the bottom left end of the net.

McMahon made a strong collegiate debut coming off his redshirt 2013 season otherwise, with five saves on the night.

Stony Brook had their chances on offense, but failed to convert on several tries. The Seawolves had just three shots on goal, with two of them coming in the second half. They also had far more corner opportunities than the opposition, with an 8-3 edge over CCSU and a 6-1 advantage in the latter period.

Leading the attack for Stony Brook was redshirt freshman Fernando Wadskier with three shots and two shots on goal. The only other Seawolf to record a shot on goal was substitute sophomore Jorge Torres, whose free kick attempt in the 67th minute caught Central Connecticut goalkeeper Josef Abele off guard but hit the crossbar.

These offensive struggles are not new, as Stony Brook was shut out seven times in 17 games last season.

Stony Brook sophomore Favio Sbarra picked up a yellow card in the 86th minute and CCSU’s Keir Hannity was booked in the 50th minute.

On Monday night, the Seawolves picked up their second loss of the season when they were shutout 3-0 by No. 8 University of Connecticut.

Entering the Labor Day matchup, Stony Brook knew it would be a challenge facing one of the top programs in the country. That became even more evident eight minutes into the game when All-American Cyle Larin sent a shot that deflected off the upper crossbar and into the goal for a 1-0 lead.

The second goal of the half came when UConn’s Cheikh Stephane Coley finished a corner kick with four minutes left in the first half.

Despite Stony Brook’s 9-5 shot advantage in the second half, they were unable to mount a comeback on UConn’s nationally ranked defense. The third and final goal came in the second half on a chip from UConn’s Ethan Vanacore Decker.

The Seawolves will look to rebound on Friday night when they host Lehigh for their home opener. Game time at LaValle Stadium is set for 7 p.m.

Jason Mazza contributed reporting to this story.