Slovakian big-man Jakub Petras is the newest Seawolf

Stony Brook has made a last ditch effort to bolster their roster come the 2014-15 college basketball season by signing overseas recruit Jakub Petras, as confirmed by the athletics department.

Petras is listed as a 6-foot-8-inch power forward, but is much closer to a 6-foot-11-inch center in person and according to online sources.

Petras hails from Slovakia, where he attended the Canarias Basketball Academy in Spain, whose alumni include Joel Freeland of the Portland Trailblazers.

Petras has represented the nation of Slovakia in the 2010 under-16 Division B European Basketball Championship and the 2011 under-18 Division B European Basketball Championship.

Although there is no word as to whether he will be redshirted or not, it is safe to assume Petras will play a role this year. One of this team’s biggest holes is in the height category, with Scott King and Jameel Warney being the roster’s tallest players. Having lost their starting center from last year, Eric McAlister, the Seawolves had plenty to gain from an extra big body up front, especially one of Petras’s stature.

Until Petras came into the fold, the assumption was that Rayshaun McGrew, who exploded late last season and was a major piece in Stony Brook’s playoff run, would be Warney’s running mate in the frontcourt. McGrew’s only 6-foot-7-inch however, meaning Warney would likely slide down to the center position. Although there is little to ascertain about the mysterious import, Petras could have a legitimate shot at starting if he is more than just extremely tall.

Stony Brook has now filled out their roster for the upcoming season. Petras is joined by Roland L’Amour Nyama as the only members of the men’s basketball team to join the squad from across the pond.