Stony Brook soccer teams both draw challenging schedules

(POLINA MOVCHAN / THE STATESMAN)
The Stony Brook men’s soccer team will face Connecticut on Sept. 1 in what is set to be perhaps the team’s most interesting game. (POLINA MOVCHAN / THE STATESMAN)

The Stony Brook men’s soccer team does not appear to be an NCAA Tournament caliber club just yet, but they will get the chance to see what one looks like up close multiple times during this upcoming season. In late June, the team’s 2014 schedule was announced, and it features four matchups with teams that have made appearances in the NCAA tournament within the past two seasons.

During September, the Seawolves will get the chance to face-off against Connecticut, Farleigh Dickinson, SMU and Northeastern. Perhaps the biggest standout on SBU’s schedule is their Sept. 1 match against Connecticut, a team that has made it to the quarterfinals of the NCAA Tournament each of the past three years. The Huskies finished last season ranked No. 9 in the NSCAA National Coaches Poll, and have been contenders for the national title in recent years.

Beginning in October, Stony Brook will begin play against America East opponents. SBU will be looking to improve in conference play this season, after only going 1-5-1 against teams in the America East in 2013. On Nov. 5, the Seawolves will be tested when the two-time defending America East champions UMBC visits LaValle Stadium. The Retrievers are coming off of an impressive 16-1-3 record last season, and defeated Stony Brook 1-0 in their only matchup last fall.

The Seawolves will also get the chance to host two other conference opponents on when they take on New Hampshire on Oct. 4, and go up against UMass-Lowell on Oct. 18. They will be on the road against America East foes Vermont, Hartford, Albany and Binghamton.

The Stony Brook women’s soccer team will also face some big names this season during their 2014 campaign. They will play three teams that participated in the NCAA Tournament last year on the women’s side in Rutgers, St. John’s and UMBC.

Those matchups are just a small part of what is looking to be a very challenging schedule this fall for the Seawolves. Nine of the 17 opponents Stony Brook will face this year had winning records in 2013, which could make it difficult for SBU to put up their third straight 10-plus win season.

Stony Brook will have two early home games when they play Delaware State for their home opener on Aug. 24 and take on Seton Hall on Sept. 4. But, most of the club’s games at LaValle will take place late in the season. The Seawolves will have four regular season home games during the month of October, all of which will be against America East opponents. Maine, Binghamton, Vermont and Hartford will all make visits to SBU this fall.

The Stony Brook women’s soccer team will kick off their regular season on Aug. 22 when they travel to New Jersey to take on Rutgers. The men’s soccer team will begin their season on the road as well, when, on Aug. 29, they travel to face Central Connecticut.