Ahmad Walker to transfer out of Stony Brook Men’s Basketball Program

(MEHMET TEMEL / THE STATESMAN)
Ahmad Walker’s departure comes as a major blow to the team as Walker proved to be an incredibly athletic young player. There has been no comment on either the circumstances behind Walker’s departure or where he is transferring to. (MEHMET TEMEL / THE STATESMAN)

The Stony Brook Athletics department has confirmed Greg Logan’s report that redshirt freshman Ahmad Walker will be transferring out of Stony Brook University.

“Ahmad and I determined that it is both in his best interest and in the best interest of the program that we part ways,” men’s basketball head coach Steve Pikiell said in a press release. “I wish Ahmad all the best in his future endeavors.”

The Stony Brook Athletics department could not be reached for further comment at this time.

This is a major blow to the Seawolves, losing arguably the most athletic player in the program’s history who had three years of eligibility remaining. Walker brought toughness on the defensive end and on the boards, while his offense steadily improved over the course of the 2013-14 season. A full profile written in February on Walker’s promising freshman campaign can be read here.

Stony Brook now has an opening at the small forward spot, which will likely call for Roland L’Amour Nyama to step up to start as a redshirt freshman, just as Walker did. Nyama brings his own share of athleticism and length, which will hopefully make for a smooth transition into the starting five.

Other (less favorable) options would be slotting in Scott King, who will be entering his junior year, or incoming freshman Bryan Sekunda.

There is no word yet on where Walker will be transferring, or if there was any reason behind what Pikiell alluded to be a mutual decision. Check back for any updates.