Women’s Lax eliminated in second round of NCAA Tournament

Stony Brook fell behind early and wasn't able to come back against No. 2 Syracuse (NINA LIN / THE STATESMAN)
Stony Brook fell behind early and wasn’t able to come back against No. 2 Syracuse (NINA LIN / THE STATESMAN)

After defeating Towson for the second year in a row in the first round of the NCAA Tournament, the Stony Brook Women’s Lacrosse team succumbed to arguably the best team in the country, Syracuse, by the score of 13-6.

Senior goalie Frankie Caridi,  also a Tewaaraton Award nominee for the best player in college lacrosse, has stood up to everything that has come her way throughout her illustrious career on Long Island. 

For two straight seasons, Caridi has led the country in goals against average and save percentage. 

But she could do nothing to stop Tewaaraton Award finalist Alyssa Murray along with the rest of Syracuse’s team.

Murray delivered a massive blow early, leaving the Seawolves stumbling to their feet the rest of the way, but not in time to defeat the second-seeded Orange. 

Murray scored the first four goals of the game for Syracuse, all within the first 8:36 of the game, beating Caridi with bounce shots in the bottom corners of the net. 

After the quick flurry, coach Joe Spallina tried settling down his team with a timeout.

From then on, Stony Brook played a somewhat even game against a team that may end up with the national championship. 

Junior Amber Kupres got things started with a goal, after she led the Seawolves in both the America East Championships and the team’s first round NCAA win.

Kupres did not add any more numbers to the stat sheet, but she did a great job marking Murray for a good chunk of the rest of the game, holding her goalless the rest of the way.

Freshman Courtney Murphy, who led the country in goals scored by freshmen dominated the second half for the Seawolves. 

She was able to outscore Syracuse all by herself 4-3, adding the four goals to her astounding 61-goal total for the year.

Kristin Yevoli, another one of the team’s dynamic freshmen also contributed to the effort for Stony Brook, adding a goal of her own to help keep the Seawolves in touch.

Senior Alyssa Cardillo finished up her college career with a strong performance. 

She dished out three assists to help the goal-scorers bury the ball in the back of the net. 

Once the Stony Brook defense settled down as the game went on, they returned to the form they showed all season long, which held opponents to less goals than anybody else in the country. 

Caridi contributed four saves in the effort, which held Syracuse scoreless the final 18:13 of the game.

The Seawolves finished their banner year with 17 wins, a Tewaaraton nominee and last but definitely not least, an America East title. 

Key pieces will be departing this spring. 

However, the young group of freshmen which has led the Seawolves all season long, including Murphy, Yevoli, Dorrien Van Dyke and Alyssa Guido will have three more years to show the country,