Stony Brook hires Shawn Heilbron as new Athletic Director

After a nationwide search that took nearly six months, Stony Brook has finally found their new Athletic Director. Shawn Heilbron, senior associate athletic director for Development at Oregon State University, has been given the position and will be officially introduced Friday afternoon at a press conference.

“I am honored to be given this incredible opportunity because Stony Brook has come so far in such a short period of time, and I look forward to leading the team that will help shape the future of this program,” Heilbron said. “Stony Brook is well positioned as a University, and I am excited that President Stanley sees Athletics as a way to enhance the Stony Brook brand on a national level, and I thank him for his trust and confidence in appointing me to this position.

“The outstanding coaches and staff in place at Stony Brook are giving our student athletes a chance to succeed in everything that they do. We have an unbelievable opportunity to work together to make this a transformative experience so when our student athletes leave here they are better for having been a part of the Seawolves family.”

Heilbron replaces former Stony Brook Athletic Director Jim Fiore, who had his contract bought out by the school on Nov. 19, 2013.

Donna Woodruff has served as Stony Brook’s interim athletic director for five months after Fiore was let go.

For the past three years Heilbron has been leading the OSU Athletics development program and serving as a member of the management team for both the OSU Foundation and OSU Athletics.

“I am very excited to welcome Shawn Heilbron into the Stony Brook family, to lead our outstanding athletic program into the next chapter of its compelling and competitive Division I history,” President Samuel L. Stanley Jr. said. “His experience in Division I athletics, his interest in preparing student athletes, and his demonstrated success growing Division I programs offers Stony Brook the winning combination of attributes needed to take the Seawolves into the next era of competition and excellence.”

President Stanley will make an official announcement about the hiring at a press conference Friday at 1:30 p.m. inside Stony Brook Arena.