Courtney’s career day leads Seawolves past NYIT

_MG_1761
Kevin Courtney hit for the cycle this Wednesday, making him the first player to do so since 2006. (BASIL JOHN / THE STATESMAN)

This Wednesday at Angelo Lorenzo Memorial Field, senior Kevin Courtney led the Stony Brook baseball team to a 15-4 victory over NYIT after hitting for the cycle, as a part of his five-hit game. Courtney is the first Seawolves player to hit for the cycle since Brian Witkowski did so back in 2006.

Courtney finished the game 5-for-6, scoring three runs and driving in four. In the first inning, he brought three runners home. After flying out to center in the third inning, he turned it all around with a single in the fourth, a triple in the sixth, an RBI single in the seventh and a double to right in the ninth. This was the first five-hit game by a Seawolves player since Willie Carmona against UMBC in 2012.

With junior Kevin Krause hitting two home runs and sophomore Jack Parenty hitting his first home run, the Seawolves set their season record at 19 hits and 15 runs in a game. NYIT falls to 4-42 while Seawolves have now won 28 of the last 37 games.

Stony Brook will play their three-game series in Baltimore.