Krause leads Seawolves to sweep of Albany

(JISOO HWANG / THE STATESMAN)
The Stony Brook Baseball team ended a three-game losing streak by sweeping America East rival Albany in a three-game series. (JISOO HWANG / THE STATESMAN)

On Saturday afternoon the Stony Brook Baseball team began a three-game series with Albany, and ended a three-game losing slide by taking down the Great Danes 6-3. Then on Sunday the Seawolves continued their dominance over their America East rivals by sweeping both games of a doubleheader.

Junior Kevin Krause was a major factor all weekend for SBU, driving in nine runs in the series.

In the first game of the three game set starting pitcher Brandon McNitt gave up just one run over five and two-thirds innings and picked up his fourth win of the season.

McNitt had a three-run lead to work with before he even took the mound. Junior Kevin Krause delivered a two-RBI double in the top of the first to get Stony Brook on the board. Then later in the frame sophomore Johnny Caputo singled Krause home to give SBU a 3-0 lead.

The Seawolves would go on to tack on a run each in the fifth, seventh and eighth innings to help power them to a 6-3 win.

Freshman pitcher Cameron Stone went on to get the final two outs of the contest, and pick up his seventh save of the season.

Krause went three-for-four in the game, driving in three runs and scoring twice. Four players in Stony Brook’s lineup had multi-hit games on Saturday.

In the second game of the series the Seawolves jumped out to an early 5-0 lead, but quickly saw it disappear in the bottom of the fourth. Alex Lushkevich’s three run double was the highlight of a six run fourth inning rally that saw Albany take a 6-5 lead.

But, Stony Brook would strike back in the top of the sixth with back-to-back RBI singles by senior Kevin Courtney and Junior Cole Peragine to put SBU up 7-6.

Then in the seventh inning the Seawolves would expand on their lead by adding on four more runs. With two outs and the base loaded Courtney delivered a single up the middle to drive in a pair of runs. Then later in the frame Peragine came up with an RBI single, and freshman Josh Baker drew an RBI walk.

Tim Knesnik was able to hold the lead for Stony Brook as they came away with a 12-7 victory. The sophomore pitcher picked up his third win of the season.

In the series finale SBU once again got on the board early, scoring seven runs in the first three innings.

The Seawolves entered the fifth inning with an 8-1 lead. This is when they would go on to blow open the game even further, as they scored five runs in the frame.

The big blow of the inning came when Krause delivered his second homer of the game, a two-run shot to left field that gave Stony Brook a 10-1 lead.

The Seawolves would go on to cruise to a 13-2 victory, in what was just a seven-inning game. Sophomore Tyler Honahan pitched a complete game, and gave up only two runs to pick up his sixth win of the season.

SBU improved to 6-0 against the Great Danes this season, and has now won 25 of their last 33 games, after starting the year 0-6.

They also improve to 11-3 record in conference play. Their next game is Wednesday afternoon at Fairfield. First pitch is scheduled for 3:30 p.m.