Women’s Hoops Routs St. Francis

The Stony Brook women’s basketball team picked up its second win of the season while denying St. Francis its first, defeating the visiting Terriers by a lopsided 71-40 margin in Pritchard Gymnasium Sunday afternoon.

‘It’s big for our confidence,’ said Coach Michele Cherry. ‘It’s the way we played. We got contribution from everybody, even if doesn’t show up in the stats.’

From the start of the game, the Seawolves showed a great deal of intensity. The home team jumped out to an 18-7 lead on a jumper from junior forward Kirsten Jeter (Elmont, NY.), cashing in on a nice dish from freshman Sam Landers (Springfield, VA.). The bucket led to a Terrier timeout, but Stony Brook kept pouring it on, getting contributions from various players to close out the first half.

‘We played with more energy from start to finish,’ said Coach Cherry. ‘We’ve had that in spurts, but this time we had it for the entire game.’

The Seawolves entered the second half with a 30-18 lead, and avoiding the foul trouble that has plagued them early in the season. At the start of the second period, the teams exchanged baskets, until Stony Brook began to pull away with good shots and strong defense. The Seawolves shot 48 percent in the second period, while forcing the Terriers into a poor 22 percent.

The coach also cited stellar post play as a catalyst for the win. ‘[Kirsten] Jeter will score. You can’t stop that,’ said Cherry, ‘Destiny [Jacobs] was tough, getting rebounds.’ Stony Brook got 57 rebounds through the game, 11 of which were secured by the sophomore center Jacobs (Glen Burnie, MD.).

Jeter finished off the game with four of the last six baskets, making her the scoring leader with 20 points. Both Jacobs and senior forward Joia Daniels (Silver Springs, MD.) picked up double-doubles in the win, with Jacobs notching 10 points and 11 boards, while Daniels scored 15 to go along with 10 rebounds.

This was the third time this season that Stony Brook scored over 70 points and their largest margin of victory this year.

The Seawolves are back in action on Wednesday, hosting the Fairfield University Stags. Tip-off is slated for 7:00 p.m.