Stony Brook drops two of three in weekend series against River Hawks

The Stony Brook Baseball team traveled to UMass Lowell over the weekend for a three-game stretch against the River Hawks and came away with one win and two defeats. This was Stony Brook’s first conference series loss on the season, dropping their overall record to 22-13 on the season and their record in America East play to 8-3.

In their first game of a Saturday doubleheader, the Seawolves drove in five runs in the top of the fifth, breaking a 1-1 tie to pull ahead and end up winning 9-3.

A Kevin Krause single with the bases loaded scored Anthony Italiano and Jack Parenty, then Cole Peragine stepped up following a walk and scored Krause and Robert Chavarria on a UMass Lowell error. Casey Baker then singled home Kevin Courtney to give Stony Brook a 6-1 advantage.

Krause finished 3-of-5 with a team-high two RBI’s, and Courtney and Parenty both went 2-of-4.

In the following contest, the River Hawks punched back. Despite holding UMass Lowell to just two runs in the contest, the Seawolves struggled offensively, totaling just six hits. Parenty went 0-for-5, and Peragine went 0-for-3, after the pair put together solid outings the game prior.

Up 1-0 in the fourth, the Seawolves loaded the bases but could not come away with a single run. A similar situation came about an inning after, but once again Stony Brook could not capitalize, despite having just one out. The River Hawks ended up notching out a 2-1 victory heading into the third and final matchup of the series.

Incredibly, the Seawolves managed to show up their poor hitting in the previous game with an even worse performance in game three. Stony Brook finished with just three hits, losing to UMass Lowell 3-1.

A Courtney sacrifice fly in the fourth scored Chavarria, but Stony Brook would not tally another hit after the fifth.

The Seawolves look to bounce back against Central Connecticut at home on Tuesday, April 22 at 3:30 p.m.