Johnstone’s 15 saves not enough in loss to Bearcats

Despite the efforts of freshman goalkeeper Hayden Johnstone, the Stony Brook Men’s Lacrosse team suffered a tough 14-11 loss at the hands of the Binghamton Bearcats on Saturday afternoon, putting the Seawolves’ backs against the wall.

Enduring a season of competitive yet heartbreaking losses, Stony Brook will need to find confidence from somewhere as they can still qualify for the America East tournament on their home field with a win against Hartford on Friday night.

Johnstone has truly earned his spot as starting goalkeeper for the Seawolves since taking the role from Patrick Fleming and Dan Shaughnessy earlier in the season. The net minder saved 15 of the 29 shots he faced, keeping Binghamton within a goal as time ticked down in the fourth quarter.

It was not enough for the Seawolves as the Bearcats broke through, scoring two goals within the last few minutes of the game to extend their 12-11 lead to the 14-11 final score.

Sophomore Chris Hughes had a phenomenal day for Stony Brook, tallying four goals and an assist in the loss. The midfielder scored three straight goals in the third quarter to nearly erase a four-goal deficit.

Junior Mike Rooney once again did his part, adding four points in the form of two goals and two assists. He remains among the team leaders in points for the season, bringing his total to 46 for the year.

It was also big day for freshman midfielder Gerard Cunningham, notching his first college goal, scoring in the second quarter for the Seawolves.

For a young team that has suffered three crushing one-goal losses on the season, a big win over Hartford may be all the confidence they need to get over the hump and make a run in the America East tournament at Kenneth P. LaValle Stadium.