Stony Brook falls to 1-2 in America East conference play

Men's lacrosse falls to Albany 17-7. (MANJU SHIVACHARAN / THE STATESMAN)
Men’s lacrosse falls to Albany 17-7. (MANJU SHIVACHARAN / THE STATESMAN)

The Stony Brook Men’s Lacrosse team continues to suffer through a rough patch. They fell to Albany 17-7 on Saturday night at John Fallon Field on the campus of UAlbany.

The Seawolves have lost four of their last five games and are 1-2 in America East play this season.

Challen Rogers was the lone bright spot in the game. He scored two goals while adding four assists.

The four helpers tied a career high for the sophomore from British Columbia. Sophomore Matt Schultz, the homegrown talent from Smithtown, added two goals in the contest for the Seawolves, which lost in the state’s capital for the first time since April 26, 2008.

Another Canadian, Hayden Johnstone, tried keeping the Seawolves in it. The freshman recorded 12 saves on the night.

Albany’s offense was too much, as Miles and Ty Thompson combined to score nine goals to lead the Great Danes, as they now have a 3-0 record in the America East Conference.

A big point in the game came in the first quarter, when Schultz and Rogers scored 47 seconds apart to start the scoring in the game. But afterwards the offense went dead, and they did not score for another 23:34 in game action.

During this span, the Great Danes scored eight unanswered goals. Three of those came from the Thompson brothers, with two coming from Ty.

Rogers and Mike Andreassi scored back to back to try and gain some momentum for the Seawolves, cutting the lead to 8-4.

That score would not hold going into halftime, as Albany scored and regained the momentum going into halftime leading 9-4. Albany then scored four goals in the first 5:16 of the third.

Two of them came from Miles Thompson, and it seemed all hope was lost at that point for the Seawolves, making the game 13-4.

Redshirt freshman Jeff Reh scored his first goal of the season with 10:41 to go in the fourth. That cut the then-Albany lead to 15-6. This was the all-Suffolk County member’s second point of the season, as he added an assist in a Feb 18 game with Lafayette.

Stony Brook was held to single digit scoring for only the fourth time this season, and it was the first time a game ended with a double-digit margin. Stony Brook is currently on the brink of qualifying for the tournament.

They currently sit in fourth place in the conference. They are sitting on a one game lead over Vermont and Hartford. They have another tough matchup coming on Saturday, as they face the other undefeated team left in the conference, the Binghamton Bearcats.

Faceoff is scheduled for 1 p.m. The Seawolves will then close out the regular season at home on Senior Day. They will face the currently winless Hartford Hawks on Friday the 25th.