Admitted Students Day preparations facilitate delusions of grandeur

At last, spring has finally arrived.  Or so the calendar reads.  Surely, from what I can remember, we recently ended all contact with winter.  I am almost positive that on my schedule, this term is labeled “Spring Semester.”  And yet, even with these factors, any evidence of greenery or vegetation has yet to be witnessed around Stony Brook.  Despite the month, a “spring” has yet to be in season.  Luckily, the SBU Planning Committee has decided to plant clusters of flowers across campus—giving an illusion of a thriving, greener, community.  I feel as though I am immersed within a garden, truly.

It may seem senseless to contrive a pleasant appearance of flora and fauna around the campus before any sign of spring can arrive (our wildlife consisting of stray and feral cats—and the occasional college-aged, threadbare drunkard), but SBU services will always find an excuse to renovate our campus (in fact, we are all starting to believe Stanley’s developed an infatuation with the local construction workers—he does not seem to let them leave the property).  Yet this particular call for refurbishment has a specific goal in mind, other than our president’s relentless attempt at trying to get fresh with the construction crew (they are not exactly sure how to politely decline any unwanted advances).

Stony Brook University hosted an Admitted Students Day this past Saturday, giving prospective students a chance to meet with faculty, students and staff, as well as a chance to participate in a mile-walk of a tour around campus.  The attempt to gussy up our campus for such an event, I had initially thought, was marginally dishonest.  The ad hoc flower beds seem to scream “The grounds may seem stark at the present moment, yet there’s certainly budding potential–literally.”  In other words, think of the new shrubbery as a post-card greeting; the picture-perfect view isn’t for the resident’s benefit, but for the tourists.  How else will Admissions lure in an approaching Freshman class?  With a deceptive green thumb, apparently.

The main event was hosted in the Wang Center (naturally, it would take place in the most impressive building on campus).  Tea and coffee stands littered the first floor entrance, bordered in by a crumpet station for all who were visiting.  Surprisingly, the affair was all very organized and enjoyable:  The staff remained amiable and accommodating all evening. Most of the parents were charmed by the affair, the students were ever so slightly mortified to be associated with their families, etc. Overall, it was a fairly pleasant occasion (though, many of the cinnamon rolls were on the brink of becoming stale–I took the liberty of eating almost all of them).

And yet, all this geniality was, from my perspective, rather unsettling.  Even the admitted students were cordial.  When asked about the “new and improved” look of our campus, Sarah Soulagnet said  “Really?  That’s so adorable.”  Her mother followed with, “I knew I would like this school.”

“Do you not find their motives misleading?”

“… No?”

Melissa Murphy held a similar view, stating, “That’s nice of them.”

“Do you have any criticisms or comments of what you’ve seen today of Stony Brook?”

“No, not really.” Anna Chung responded, “The campus is kind of big.”

Our deceit has been applauded.

Perhaps the improvised gardening was a legitimate courteous gesture, as opposed to the disingenuous, yet admittedly amusing, ruse I had originally presumed they were attempting.  From conversing with our new class of students, I have come to realize I may have been too quick with cynicism.  To be honest, I do not even mind the flowers.  I actually kind of like them–along with our potential Freshmen class.  You could say they have grown on me.