Murphy providing major scoring boost in rookie campaign

(ANUSHA MOOKHERJEE / THE STATESMAN)
Courtney Murphy has made significant contributions to the Women’s Lacrosse team in spite of her freshman status. (ANUSHA MOOKHERJEE / THE STATESMAN)

Courtney Murphy (#18) is a freshman on the Stony Brook Women’s Lacrosse team, but she is playing like a star senior would.

In fact, she has already broken the school records for most points (eight) and goals (seven) for a freshman debut and is just one goal shy of tying the record of most goals (nine) in one game.

“We brought her in here knowing that she was going to make an impact,” assistant coach Caitlin Defliese said. “Courtney is well-prepared to play college lacrosse.”

As a soccer player who grew up in Shirley, NY, Murphy picked up her first lacrosse stick when she was in second grade and has been playing ever since.

“Once I started getting good at it I started to like it more and more,” she said.

She eventually started playing for her school and the Long Island Yellow Jackets.

Once she started attending William Floyd High School, she knew that she wanted to continue playing lacrosse in college.

Now that she is a Seawolf, thanks to the influences of head coach Joe Spallina and Defliese, Murphy is getting pushed more than ever.

“I was never really, in high school, demanded to go 100 percent because I was always above everyone, but getting here, you realize everyone is just as good as you, so you really have to put in the extra work,” she said. “It’s definitely a lot harder here.”

Murphy’s skills have instantly impacted the team.

The Seawolves have an 10-2 overall record and are 2-0 in the America East Conference. “She’s an unbelievable finisher,” Defliese said.

“Anytime the ball is in her stick, it’s probably going to go in the goal.”

Murphy has scored eight goals in two single games, the first time against Bucknell on Feb. 15 and the second time against Central Connecticut State University on March 13.

She is inching closer to the record of nine goals that assistant coach Demmianne Cook set in 2012.

Although Murphy modestly admits, “I’m able to score. I guess that’s my biggest asset,” her coaches are more impressed. “Her shot is impeccable.”

“She’s able to pick a part corners and pick a part goalies,” Defliese said. “With some of her moves, she’s able to shake off defenders, get her hands free and really rip.”

Murphy was named Rookie of the Week for WomensLax.com and twice named player of the week for the America East.

“It’s a feeling of accomplishment but I know that I have to keep working,” Murphy said.

According to Defliese, Murphy has always been a confident kid, but her confidence on the field has improved.

“I think having the ball in her stick, knowing that she’s going to be the person that can take a shot, that’s huge for her,” she said.

Although Defliese did not want to comment on Murphy’s areas of weakness, Murphy herself admitted that she would like to improve on her fitness and speed, two crucial components of the game.

This causes tension between her and her head coach at times. “Me and Spallina definitely go at it sometimes, but I know that he’s always looking out for me and has my best interest at heart,” she said. “Sometimes I just have to take it from him because I know he wants the best for me.”

Murphy is grateful that she can consider her teammates family. “We treat each other all as equals. There’s no freshman, senior,” she said.

But she also knows that she can rely on her parents and two brothers to be her biggest support group. “My family’s really supportive,” she said. “They’re [her brothers] always helping me out and making sure that I’m always content with how I am and making sure that I’m still working to get better.”

She especially looks up to her brother Steve who played for the Major League Lacrosse’s New York Lizards in 2013 as well as in college at the University of Notre Dame.

“He always texts me to tell me what I can do better,” Murphy said. “He’s definitely one of my best supporters.

Murphy is studying business management but she plans on continuing to play lacrosse after she graduates. She admires Cook’s path of becoming an assistant coach after playing at Stony Brook.

She also hopes to coach at the college level one day. But for now, she is focused on the present season.

“Hopefully we win the America East and go really far into the NCAA,” she said. “I want to be able to help my team win the championship.”