Middle-inning explosion powers Seawolves past Marist

(MEHMET TEMEL / THE STATESMAN)
Stony Brook Seawolves win another home game at Joe Nathan Field as they beat the Marist Red Foxes. (MEHMET TEMEL / THE STATESMAN)

Through four innings of play, it looked as if the Stony Brook Seawolves were going to have yet another defense-first game Tuesday afternoon at Joe Nathan Field. Two innings later, the Seawolves quadrupled their run total and ran away with a 9-3 victory over the Marist Red Foxes.

“We were having the at-bats to have a big inning,” manager Matt Senk said. “It just so happened that (the sixth) was the inning that it happened.”

A Kevin Krause sacrifice fly in the first gave the Seawolves 1-0 lead, and then a Steve Priollo wild pitch scored Johnny Caputo to make it 2-0 after two innings.

Caputo then started to blow the game open in the bottom of the fifth, when his double up the left field line scored Cole Peragine and Casey Baker to put Stony Brook up 4-0.

Just when it was thought the Seawolves were going to run away and hide, Marist center fielder Jamari Moore scored when Graham McIntire hit a sacrifice fly, leaving otherwise flawless Tyler Honahan with his only blemish in his start.

Honahan finished by only allowing three hits and a walk, while striking out two batters.

Stony Brook then blew the game open in the bottom of the sixth, and it started with a Kevin Courtney RBI single to center, which scored Parenty.

Then Cole Peragine’s blooper into center turned into an RBI double, scoring Robert Chavarria from third.

Long Island native Casey Baker then provided the big blow of the inning. A two-run single to center scored Courtney and Peragine, and the Seawolves were up 8-1 by the inning’s end.

Bryan Tatelman came in for relief and he didn’t do so well, allowing two runs in just an inning of work.  Tatelman hit Marist’s Pat Welsh with the bases loaded, which brought in a run. He then proceeded to walk Jamari Moore, which brought home another run.

Cameron Stone was then brought in to relieve Tatelman, and he threw 2 1/3 innings of hitless ball, closing out the game.

Stony Brook would get its ninth and final run when Kevin Courtney was hit by a pitch in the bottom of the seventh, which scored Michael Roehrig.

Stony Brook improves to 12-10 on the year and is still a perfect 9-0 at home.