Stony Brook students defy stereotypical spring break activities

(PHOTO CREDIT: MCTCAMPUS)
Typical spring breaks tend to involve alcohol based frivolities, but Stony Brook students seem to enjoy quieter breaks. (PHOTO CREDIT: MCTCAMPUS)

Spring break has come and gone and for many college students, that meant a week in a tropical location filled with alcohol and risky behavior, but do Stony Brook students participate in the classic stigma of spring break?

When asked this question prior to break, freshman biochemistry major Ethan Conley said, “Some Stony Brook students may participate but I need money so I am going home to work for the week of spring break,” Conley added, “I’m going to go home and lay low for a while, but I would go away if I could.”

Many students are in the same boat each year since they can not afford the price of the trip, even if it is all-inclusive.

According to EF College Break, a company who organizes student vacations, a ten-day all-inclusive trip to Cancun for Spring 2014 costs $2,125. Most trips last only a couple of days, however, and the price is costly for students with loans.

Travel companies often organize “all-inclusive” trips for college students to go somewhere—where the drinking age is typically lower compared to the drinking age in the United States. They advertise lower prices that include food, hotels and airfare, which is appealing to the typical college student strapped for cash.

However, Kojo Tabiri, a freshman psychology major, does not know many Stony Brook students that participate in such trips.

“I think a lot of people go away on vacation but not the group sponsored trips like bigger schools have. My friends who go to the University of Maryland has big organized trips to cheap locations but I’ve never heard of anybody going on them here,” Tabiri said.

Matthew Afzali, junior, said that, “unless they’re part of Greek life they probably don’t go away.”

Even though classes were not in session, some students still had to do homework and study for exams. Students like Afzali use the break to catch up on school work, or even to get ahead.

Others, like Mona Zheng, a freshman with an undecided major, and Matt Torres, intend to spend time with friends or their families.

“I am probably staying home and going to the movies and stuff. I want to spend time with my family,” Zheng said.

Torres, who will travel home to Florida with some of his friends, says that “everyone wants to leave because this weather is terrible.”

Patrick Manfrede, a junior, thinks that there are some Stony Brook students who have crazier plans for Spring Break. However, many students on campus have more relaxing Spring Break plans.