Men’s Lacrosse falls to Red Storm after win over Jaspers

(BASIL JOHN / THE STATESMAN)
The Men’s Lacrosse team’s defense failed to keep the team afloat against the St. John’s Red Storm this past Saturday. (BASIL JOHN / THE STATESMAN)

On Saturday, the Stony Brook Men’s Lacrosse team took on St. John’s. falling apart in the final period as they lost to the Red Storm, 13-11.

The Seawolves played well for three quarters, led by strong showings by Chris Hughes, Matt Schultz, Mike Rooney and Mike Andreassi. Each contributed two goals to the Stony Brook effort.

However, the Seawolves’ defense failed them in the last quarter as St. John’s scored five unanswered goals to take the lead and close out the game. Stony Brook was out-shot by the Red Storm 50-28.

The Seawolves were also unable to slow down senior attacker Kieran McArdle who finished with six goals, two assists and 13 shots.

The loss came after SBU defeated Manhattan 12-8 last Tuesday. Mike Rooney’s four-goal performance helped the Seawolves pull away from the Jaspers in the second half of what was a tightly contested game.

With the score 8-7 for Stony Brook in the third quarter, Rooney scored what would end up being the game-winner, his 18th of the season from Andreassi. He later added his 19th of the year to add to his impressive day, in which he snatched up four ground balls as well.

As much as Rooney’s goal-scoring may not have been the most expected thing in the world, sophomore Brody Eastwood’s work comes as no surprise, as he tallied four goals to make his already team-leading goal count 25 for the season.

Although at the end of the day, non-conference wins don’t do much good for any playoff aspirations, building confidence is key for the upcoming America East schedule. If Stony Brook wants to win the conference and qualify for the NCAA tournament, they’ll need to play their best lacrosse as the season winds down.

This Friday night Stony Brook will begin the America East conference portion of their schedule when they hit the road to take on UMBC. The game is set to begin at 7:30 p.m.

Staff writer Zach Rowe contributed to this story.