Van Dyke sets freshman record for points in rout of Siena

The Stony Brook Women’s Lacrosse team reeled off their fourth win in row on Saturday, blowing out Siena by the score of 19-6. Dorrien Van Dyke finished with five goals and four assists and set the program’s freshmen record for most points in a game.

Van Dyke was not the only freshman to deliver offensively for the Seawolves in the game, as first year attackers Courtney Murphy and Alyssa Guido also had big days. Murphy added four goals and an assist, while Guido scored twice and had two helpers.

SBU came out of the gate hot, scoring seven goals in the game’s first 14 minutes. Murphy scored three times in that span to help the Seawolves take an early 7-2 lead.

Less than two minutes later, Van Dyke would score her third goal of the half, to give Stony Brook a six goal lead. The Seawolves dominated play in the first half, out-shooting Siena 23-6, and took a 14-2 lead into halftime.

Play would be more even in the second half, but Van Dyke would still continue to produce points. The freshman added here fourth goal of the game just six minutes into the second half and her fifth with just 13:24 left to play in regulation.

Van Dyke’s nine points tied her for the fifth most points in Seawolves’ single-game history. She has now registered 32 goals, 42 points through her first nine collegiate games.

In total, seven different players scored for Stony Brook against Siena, and six of them had multi-goal games.

Sophomore Natalie Marciniak scored her first career goal just 5:27 into the Saturday’s matchup. She then added two more goals on the day to complete her first career hat trick.

Senior goalkeeper Frankie Caridi picked up the win for Stony Brook, making four saves in a little over 46 minutes of play. Freshman Kaitlyn Leahy also saw time in net, and made four saves over the game’s final 13:55.

The victory improved the Seawolves’ overall record to 7-2 this season. They are also now 4-1 when playing at home.

This Saturday Stony Brook will begin conference play, when they host UMBC at LaValle Stadium. The game is set to begin at 1 p.m.