Sewage water floods Union basement

Soiled water flooded the corridors of the Student Union last Wednesday.  Flooded areas were vacuumed and sanitized the same day it happened. (NINA LIN / THE STATESMAN)
Soiled water flooded the corridors of the Student Union Basement last Wednesday. Flooded areas were vacuumed and sanitized the same day the event happened. (NINA LIN / THE STATESMAN)

Sewage water flooded the Stony Brook Union basement last Wednesday evening after grease, likely from the Union Commons, clogged the sewer main outside the building.

Water containing fecal matter and other waste flooded two rooms of the basement and the hallways outside of the men’s and women’s bathrooms. All affected areas were cleared of water and sanitized the same evening.

Water jetting trucks were used into the early morning to clear the sewage line along stadium road of the blockage.

“The line has been cleared and is flowing,” Executive Director of Facilities & Services Terence Harrigan said in an email.

The backup was not related to the plumbing work that shut down the Union the weekend before, which was to repair a leak in the domestic water line. However, the blockages do occur regularly and have caused flooding in years past, according to maintenance staff.

The flooding did not cause lasting damage and the Union is fully operational.