Campus briefing: assembly delegation set

140227_USG Senate Meeting 2-27-_Manju.Shivacharan_0323
Kerri Mahoney, the vice president of Clubs and Organizations, will represent Stony Brook University in the 2014 SUNY Student Assembly. She won the position over Steven Adelson, the vice president of Academic Affairs. (MANJU SHIVACHARAN / THE STATESMAN)

Vice President of Clubs and Organizations Kerri Mahoney was elected to serve on the Stony Brook delegation to the State University of New York Student Assembly spring conference at the Undergraduate Student Government Senate meeting on Feb. 27.

After Senator Joy Pawirosetiko withdrew from the delegation for personal reasons, Vice President of Academic Affairs Steven Adelson and Mahoney both nominated themselves as candidates for the position.

Mahoney claimed she deserved the delegation because of her charming smile and past experience as a delegate. She said that, while most delegates spend the assembly as a weekend getaway filled with drinking and partying, she would actually take part in voting during the assembly. She denounced Adelson for wanting to cancel the assembly trip and use the funding on more important subjects.

Adelson focused on topics the Stony Brook delegates are planning on discussing during the conference—an FCC resolution on university’s role in providing child care for its faculty and resolution stating that Long Island hospitals should help students pay off their debts during residency. Adelson also stated that drinking would not be an issue because he does not drink.

Mahoney won the delegation position with a count of 14 in favor and seven in opposition.

Meeting in Brief:

• Budgets were approved for the International Students Organization dinner and Stony Brook Quiz Bowl.

• Front Desk Staff Election Act passed.

• Amendment to election laws tabled to next week.

• Soaring Eagle, Sloth, and Soaring Eaglesloth Acts were passed.

• 2014 Eligibility of Class Senators Act passed