Seawolves get back to .500

The Seawolves’ Men’s Lacrosse team came off a heartbreaking loss on Friday night, being denied at the buzzer. They would not let this happen Tuesday night, as they rattled off 10 of 11 goals and won 18-10 over Lafayette.

Brody Eastwood led the way, scoring six goals and leading all scorers in the game. Freshman Kyle Rowe also made a big impact, but not by scoring goals. He controlled the faceoff circle, winning 18 of 21 draws. The victory was much needed after the season-opening loss to the Marist Red Foxes on Valentine’s Day.

Eastwood had four of his six goals in the second half, as the Seawolves won their second game over the Leopards. He now has 10 goals in the season and has scored 54 goals in 18 career games.

A big turning point in this game was after Lafayette scored to tie the game at four midway through the second quarter. Stony Brook scored five straight goals and 10 of the next 11 to pull away from the Leopards, who played the Seawolves for their season opener The lead was 15-5 and Lafayette just was not able to recover.

Rowe, the America East Rookie of the Week from last week, dominated the faceoff circle for the second straight game, after winning 17 of 21 draws against Marist. Rowe scored his first collegiate goal at 2:57 of the second quarter, which capped the first of two 5-0 spurts by Stony Brook.

Sophomore Jake Sichenzia set a career high in goals and points, with three goals and a first quarter assist to finish with four points.

Two more sophomores had a big contribution to this game. Challen Rogers added two goals and three assists to record five points for the second straight game. Matt Schultz added a career-high in assists, with three.

Sophomore Lucas Rock had an assist in the 18-10 win over Lafayette. Photo by Basil John
Sophomore Lucas Rock had an assist in the 18-10 win over Lafayette. (BASIL JOHN/THESTATESMAN)