Murphy’s seven goals lead Seawolves to win in opener

Senior Captain Emily Mercier looks to lead the Seawolves deep into the NCAA Tournament. Statesman Stock Photo

Due to the expected inclement weather, the Stony Brook women’s lacrosse game opened up their 2014 season with a time change and had their game pushed up from 1 p.m. to 11 a.m.

Despite the threat of snow, the Seawolves performed in front of 249 people at LaValle Stadium on Saturday. Led by freshman attacker, Courtney Murphy, the team rewarded their fans with a convincing 18-1 win over Bucknell.

“[My first game] was so unreal,” Murphy said. “Growing up I played in high school and was never nervous but when I got out there for this game but all the hard work and preseason [practicing], it was just amazing to come out here and show what we can do.”

The Seawolves jumped out to an early 6-0 lead. Led by Murphy’s three quick goals, the young Stony Brook team took control of the match and overpowered Bucknell’s elder team.

Murphy’s performance set a freshman debut record with seven goals and eight points.

“Us coming in as freshman, we definitely had something to prove and I think we did prove it and I think we’re going to prove it throughout the whole season,” Murphy said.

Bucknell’s senior Sophie Kleinert scored on a goal assisted by fellow senior Katelyn Miller to make the score 6-1.

This was the first and only goal for the Bisons. Bucknell was hit with a barrage of goals and never seemed to gain composure or any control.

“When you beat anyone 18-1 you have to be happy with that,” Stony Brook coach Joe Spallina said.“It was what you would expect from a season opener and I’m happy with the disparity of score and I’m happy with our freshman performance.”

Stony Brook’s convincing win will most likely set the standard for excellence.

Despite their youth, the Lady Seawolves are looking forward to a successful season.

“Our expectations are high with this group,” Spallina said. “We are young but I don’t think or youth looked young today but our goals are: to win the America East, get into the NCAA [tournament] and compete for a national championship and that’s been the goal since day one.”