USG appoints graduate student as interim administrative director

Kirnbauer is an MBA candidate who served as USG treasurer from 2010 to 2012. (STATESMAN STOCK PHOTO)
Thomas Kirnbauer is an MBA candidate who served as USG’s treasurer from 2010 to 2012. (STATESMAN STOCK PHOTO)

The Undergraduate Student Government, while continuing its search for a new administrative director, has appointed graduate student Thomas Kirnbauer to the position.

Kirnbauer, a graduate student within the College of Business, was well known for being USG’s treasurer from 2010 to 2012.

In 2012, he helped push through financial bylaws that changed the laws of how clubs can spend their budget. Before serving as treasurer, he was a USG senator in 2010.

He then became treasurer of the Graduate Student Organization, serving there from July to December of last year. Kirnbauer is also presently the vice president of the Faculty Student Association Board of Directors.

His new position of administrative director oversees the operation of the entire Undergraduate Student Government and watches to ensure its efficiency in event planning.

The administrative director must also attend events to provide feedback to the USG as a whole.

According to the job description, the administrative director is “responsible for working with student leaders in ensuring [a] smooth and customer-oriented operation…ensures that needs of the undergraduate student body are met through development and implementation of policies and procedures necessary to help create campus community.”

Kirnbauer said of the temporary position, “I am here as a facilitator of USG, not to ‘call the shots.’ In my opinion, this is a student government, and it is important that students lead the way. Every year is different, unique and successful in its own way.”

He did not know the reason for his predecessor’s departure from the position of administrative director.

The Undergraduate Student Government refused to comment on the former director’s departure.