Goodman named America East co-player of the week

(NINA LIN / THE STATESMAN)
Chikilra Goodman has greatly aided the Women’s Basketball team over the course of the season and is now one of America East’s players of the week. (NINA LIN / THE STATESMAN)

For the second time in her career, Chikilra Goodman has been named one of the America East’s players of the week. The senior guard received the honor, after averaging 16.3 points, seven rebounds, and 2.3 steals in three games last week.

Goodman started off the week by pouring in a team high 22 points in the Stony Brook Women’s Basketball team’s win over UMBC last Monday. She made six free throws in the final minute and thirty seconds of the game to help secure the victory for her team.

On Thursday, Goodman finished with 15 points along with seven boards in the team’s 83-49 blowout win over Vermont. It was the Seawolves’ largest margin of victory so far this year.

Then on Sunday against Maine, Goodman would once again lead the way for her team. She had 12 points, six assists, five rebounds and two steals in the team’s 65-49 win.

Goodman’s play has helped Stony Brook put together a five game winning streak. The Seawolves this year are much improved from the 2012-2013 season. They have a 15-5 overall record, and a 6-1 conference record.

Goodman has played in all 20 of her team’s games this year, and is averaging 12.1 points per contest. She is also averaging 7.2 rebounds and 3.6 assists per game this season.

Her field goal percentage of .431 is third highest on the team, and she is second on the team in minutes played this year. She also leads the America East in steals with 2.7 per game.

Goodman was one of two players to receive the award this week, as she shares the honor with Albany’s Shereesha Richards. The two players will go head-to-head tomorrow when Stony Brook hosts Albany in the Pritchard Gymnasium.

Stony Brook is off to its best 20 game start in its Division I school history. They will have a tough task on Thursday against the defending America East champion Great Danes, who have won their last 30 conference games.