Walker nets 22 as Seawolves defeat Black Bears 79-61

This Sunday afternoon, as students began to move back into the dorms for the start of classes, the Stony Brook Seawolves Men’s Basketball team hosted the Maine Black Bears.

The Seawolves went in following a huge win over rival Vermont on Friday night, and hoped to ride that momentum against the 3-15 Black Bears. Although one of weakest teams in the America East, the Black Bears are also one of the most unique. They are one of the youngest teams, without a single senior on their roster.

The roster is also built up of a unique cast of characters, as coach Ted Woodward has filled it with a variety of international players, hailing from Canada, Lithuania, Nigeria, Germany, Finland and Serbia.

At the end of the game, the Seawolves had won 79-61. The star of the game was undoubtedly Ahmad Walker.

Maine played a very unique style of basketball, which seemed to give the Seawolves trouble in the first half.

The Black Bears played an aggressive and athletic brand of basketball, running in transition and forcing a lot of double teams.  This caused the Seawolves offense trouble, as they were not able to convert much at the offensive end.

However, the Seawolves were able to outdo Maine on defense, as they caused the Black Bears’ offense even more problems.  The Black Bears only shot 16 percent halfway through the first, and could not even break 10 points until five minutes remained in the half.

At that time, the Seawolves had jumped to a 23-11 lead. However, that basket sparked a run for the Black Bears, as they closed the gap to 27-20 by the end of the half.

The Maine playstyle affected each Stony Brook player a little differently.

Eric McAlister thrived in the run and gun game, shooting a perfect 4-4 in the half, with 10 points, five rebounds and a block.

Ahmad Walker found the game to fit his slashing style well, as he scored six points on 3-5 shooting while pulling down four rebounds.

Meanwhile, Maine’s focus on double teaming and the fast game caused Jameel Warney issues, as his game centers on the post game.

He failed to score a single basket in the period. Dave Coley went down with an apparent leg injury early in the half, and it seemed to hamper him even as he came back, as he shot a poor 2-7 from the field.

The Seawolves, as a whole, were only able to shoot 36.4 percent in the half, with a meager 10 percent  from the three point line.

However, in the second half, Stony Brook was able to start to pull away.

Their guards lead the charge, as Coley and Jackson were able to get their shots to start falling, while Ahmad Walker kept up his great day and even shot a three pointer.

Warney, despite getting himself into foul trouble, was able to make the most of his time on the court.

As a result, the Seawolves were able to overpower the Black Bears’ defense as the score was 59-34 halfway through the second.

The Black Bears were never able to make the game close again, and the Seawolves started to have a little fun, throwing down a couple of alley-oops that electrified the crowd.

He scored 22 points on the day on 9-12 shooting, with 11 rebounds to make his second career double double. Coley also had a solid game, with 17 points with six rebounds.

Carson Pureifoy lead the team with 5 assists, and even senior Ben Resner saw minutes, with Coach Pikiell answering the crowds calls to put him in the game.

Xavier Pollard lead the Black Bears with 19 points, five assists and five rebounds.

“I think early on we were just trying to do too much, we didn’t come out with enough energy early in the game. But, we turned it on in the second half,” Walker said.

The Seawolves will travel to Albany on Wednesday.

They hope to prolong a record winning streak of America East wins in a season without losing, as they hope to improve to 8-0.

Redshirt freshman Ahmad Walker had 22 points on 9-of-12 shooting with 11 rebounds in the Seawolves victory. / Photo by Heather Khalifa