Seawolves fall to Army at Pritchard

Stony Brook fell to Army Friday. Miranda Jenkins had eights points in the loss. Photo by Jia Yao / The Statesman

Despite a career day from senior Chikilra Goodman, the Stony Brook Women’s Basketball team fell in a tough back-and-forth contest to Army, 75-67.

Goodman has continued her strong breakout season for the Seawolves, pouring in a career high 24 points to keep the game at Pritchard Gymnasium close. Adding in seven rebounds, four steals and two assists, the senior helped Stony Brook stay in touch late in the second half before Army closed the deal with about a minute remaining.

A positive sign to take out of this loss is something that has helped coach Beth O’Boyle’s team all season long. Shocking nobody in the gym, Stony Brook once again crashed the offensive glass, pulling in a massive 23 offensive rebounds. Unfortunately, the strong effort to out-rebound Army on the offensive side of the ball was nullified by a lackluster shooting day.

Outside of the strong performances by Goodman and junior Jessica Ogunnorin, the rest of the team shot less than 15 percent from the field, hitting a total of five shots. On the positive side, the two starting guards for the Seawolves had a phenomenal afternoon, going for a combined 38 points and 13 rebounds on 50 percent shooting.

Proving to be one of the focal leaders of this team has been sophomore Brittany Snow, showing tremendous effort whether putting the ball in the hoop or not. Even though it was not Snow’s best shooting day, she still helped the cause with a strong 11 rebounds to add to her four points for the game.

The key moment in this contest came with eight minutes left, as Stony Brook led 48-46. The Black Knights grabbed one of their few offensive rebounds on the day and turned it into a made three pointer by guard Kelsey Minato, giving Army the lead for good. Also contributing was guard Jen Hazlett, who led the team with 21 points on a strong 64 percent shooting day from the field.

The Seawolves continue their season Wednesday night, as they cross state lines to New Jersey for a midweek matchup against local St. Peter’s, before heading to Pennsylvania to play Lafayette next weekend, looking to get their fifth and sixth wins of the season.