Seawolves impress against Fairleigh Dickinson

After a rough game on Sunday in Iowa against the Hawkeyes, the Stony Brook Women’s basketball team bounced back with a strong performance in a 68-58 win on the road against Fairleigh Dickinson Thursday night.

Leading the Seawolves off the bench, junior Sabre Proctor dropped 24 points on 63 percent, shooting in an impressive display and taking Stony Brook to 3-2 on the season. Hitting a jumper with less than a minute left in the game, the preseason First Team All America East member put the nail in Fairleigh Dickinson’s coffin, giving coach Beth O’Boyle’s team what would be an insurmountable 8-point lead.

Continuing the biggest pattern of success for the season, the team was far superior on the offensive glass, grabbing 12 offensive boards, while Fairleigh Dickinson only managed two. Especially in their wins this season, the work done in the offensive rebounding department has been extremely impressive, totaling 83 boards on the offensive side of the ball to a mere 46 for opposing teams. Especially in the college game where shooting percentages will be significantly lower compared to the pro game, getting second chance opportunities is massive.

Chipping in a great effort for the Seawolves was junior Jessica Ogunnorin, who came up with a big double double, scoring 14 points while snatching 10 rebounds in 31 minutes on the floor. As Walt “Clyde” Frazier likes to say, Ogunnorin added dishing to her swishing as well, setting up Chikilra Goodman for a lead-enlarging three in the closing minutes of the game.

Looking forward, coach O’Boyle and the Seawolves play their second home game at Pritchard Gymnasium on Monday night against the Morgan State Bears at 7 p.m. Later on in the week, they confront New York foe Army at 2 p.m. on Friday, right after Thanksgiving.