Stony Brook gearing up for Richmond after being eliminated last week

After being eliminated last Saturday at Maine, Seawolves will have limited chances to send their senior class off with their last wins of the season. (YOON SEO NAM / THE STATESMAN)

Eliminated from FCS Playoff contention after their loss to Maine, the Seawolves have three games left to send the senior class off and regain confidence to get ready for next season.

The record of 3-6 of the Richmond Spiders deceives the eye, as the dynamic pass-happy team has scored significantly more points than their opponents this season. Coach Lyle Hemphill and his secondary, need to be prepared for what should be an aerial assault, courtesy of Richmond quarterback Michael Strauss.

A transfer from the University of Virginia, the sheer quantity of balls he puts in the air is astounding. Earlier in the season, Strauss completed 41 of 64 attempts setting a school record. Relatively low on the interception count with only seven compared to his nearly 400 attempts, the secondary needs to be prepared. With a high completion percentage, Strauss does not go for the bomb every pass, but the little short yardage routes and running back dump offs. Press coverage could help force Strauss and Richmond out of their comfort zone, making them put it over the top a bit more, causing mistakes.

One of the biggest haymakers a defense can throw at a dynamic passing offense, is a rush. Getting to the quarterback, especially one that puts the ball in the air so often, is of the utmost importance for Stony Brook. If Victor Ochi and crew can at least disrupt the flow of the game, the Seawolves may have a chance to add to their four interceptions on the season.

The Stony Brook defense, which has been performing well until the end of the game all season long needs to get off of the football field to save their best for last. In what could be thought of as a surprise, Stony Brook’s running game has still been the key to its offense even after losing NFL player Miguel Maysonet and Marcus Coker to injury. Running it down Richmond’s throat, which gives up about 150 yards per game, will be the x-factor in this game. If the Seawolves and their young running back corps can pound it all day long, Richmond won’t be able to put up its typical high number of passes. Time of possession, especially against a Richmond team that struggles to run the football, is important.

An interesting stat to look at before this game: Saturday at Kenneth P. LaValle Stadium is the spread of Richmond’s scoring. Dominating three out of four quarters would lead one to believe that they dominate the game, but the Spiders have been severely outscored in the third quarter throughout the year, and Stony Brook proved its out of halftime prowess last week against Maine.

Controlling the football, using the ground and pound,  and sitting on the pass should allow Stony Brook to prevail in this late-season matchup.