Volleyball beats Binghamton, 3-2

Senior Kaitlin Costello hit a stellar .432 in the win. [POLINA MOVCHAN/THE STATESMAN]
The Seawolves relied on their rallying skills this Sunday, coming from behind in two of their three wins against Binghamton. SBU beat the defending America East champs, 3-2 (27-29, 25-20, 24-26, 25-14, 15-12).

The Bearcats came out hot in the first frame, using a 3-0 run to top Stony Brook 29-27.

SBU bounced back in the second frame, with senior Kaitlin Costello and sophomore Melissa Rigo combining to give the Seawolves a 20-16 lead. Costello added another point to bring the score to 21-16, and SBU locked in the win after a kill from sophomore Kathy Fletcher.

The third set came down to the wire, with Binghamton taking a 2-1 lead after the 26-24 victory.

But the Seawolves came out fighting in the fourth frame, using a 7-for-7 hitting percentage to take a commanding 14-6 lead. The Bearcats called time out, but came back to the court sloppy, making an attack error that caused SBU to to cruise to the 25-14 win with ease.

With the score tied at 2, the game came down to the final frame. Binghamton started off strong, beginning the set with a 4-0 lead. Both teams fought mightly, but the Seawolves eventually went on a 6-1 run to tie the score at 8 after a Rigo ace.

Costello led SBU in dominating the rest of the frame, making the score 11-9 after three kills and, after the Bearcats responded, smacking another kill to keep Stony Brook up 12-10.

A shot from Rigo gave the Seawolves a match-point opportunity, and the game was sealed after the Bearcats committed an attack error.

Costello was the star of the night, hitting a tremendous .432 on top of a match-high 22 kills and 14 digs.

After having seven blocks against the Bearcats, McFadden moved to sixth all-time on SBU’s single-season block list, with 89 combo stuffs on the season.

With the win, the Seawolves swept the season series against the Bearcats. The team plays a non-conference match against Sacred Heart on Tuesday at 7 p.m. to wrap up their four-game homestand.