Men’s soccer suffers tough OT loss on Senior Night

Will Casey had SBU's best chance to score, when he took a shot in the 64th minute that went over the net. [MARVIN FUENTES/THE STATESMAN]
Will Casey had SBU’s best chance to score, when he took a shot in the 64th minute that went over the net. [MARVIN FUENTES/THE STATESMAN]
It was a chilly fall night and the seniors were being introduced for the Stony Brook University Men’s soccer team. It was senior night, and before the match, there was a ceremony celebrating the seniors on the team. Unfortunately, the night would end in heartbreak.

With an overall record of 6-8-1, and a conference record of 1-3-1, the Seawolves came into their match against Vermont desperate for a conference win. Although they played a well-balanced and strong game, they were unable to seize their opportunities.

Stony Brook appeared to be the better team in the first half, but just could not put the ball in the back of the net. They moved the ball efficiently and maintained control for much of the first half. The Seawolves looked to attack Vermont and put them on their heels from the start of the game. They were able to push and apply pressure down the sidelines. The Seawolves out shot Vermont 10-3 in the first half. Stony Brook’s best chance to score came in the 64th minute when senior Will Casey took a shot that went just over the net.

For much of the match Vermont tried to slow down the game and find ways to put pressure on the Stony Brook defense. In the first half, playing long balls and possessing the ball in their own half was how they did that. However, they were unable to produce many chances until the second half. Vermont picked up the pace and out shot the Seawolves 9-4 in the second half.

Even with all the shots in the match, at the end of regulation the score was still 0-0. The match was heading into overtime but it would not last long. The game-winning goal came just two minutes into the overtime. In the 92nd minute Vermont’s Scott Kisling headed home the winner in the top right corner of the goal. That would end the match and the night for the Seawolves.

Despite losing in overtime, Stony Brook had more shots and corner kicks than Vermont and also controlled the tempo for much of the game.

Head coach Ryan Anatol believes they outperformed Vermont, saying: “From a performance standpoint, I thought we had the better of it.”

This was Vermont’s first win at Stony Brook, improving their record to 7-6-2 against the Seawolves.

Despite the two consecutive losses Stony Brook still has a chance to clinch a berth into the American East Championship. They are currently two points behind sixth- place Binghamton and three points behind Albany. The Seawolves finish their regular season on Wednesday when they travel to Maryland to take on UMBC.