Seawolves bounce back with big win over Lehigh

Alejandro Fritz (BO REUM LEE / THE STATESMAN)
Alejandro Fritz races to gain control of the ball. (BO REUM LEE / THE STATESMAN)

The Seawolves entered their last regular season non-conference match with a record of 4-5 in non-conference matches, three of those losses being on the road. Coming off of a tough stretch of games, where the Seawolves lost three out of four and tied one, the Seawolves looked to bounce back. They did just that with a big 3-0 win over Lehigh at Bethlehem, Pa.

The scoring started in the 8th minute when junior midfielder Keith McKenna played a through ball behind the Lehigh defense and sophomore midfielder Martin Giordano placed it nicely in the back of the net.

The next would come in the second half in the 56th minute, this time with Giordano assisting McKenna. Giordano was able to get up the sideline, send a cross into the box where McKenna then volleyed the ball for the Seawolves’ second goal of the night. McKenna has now scored in four of his last five matches. This also marked the fourth consecutive game that Giordano has recorded a point (an assist or a goal).

That would not be the last of the Seawolves offense. They once again found the back of the net in the 70th minute. With a free-kick at the top of the box, sophomore midfielder Alejandro Fritz bent the ball around the wall of defenders and beat the keeper for the final goal of the game.

This was also a big game for the Seawolves defense, in particular their senior goalkeeper Carlos Villa. He had a career high nine saves in the game, which also gave him his third clean sheet for the year.

It was an impressive win for the Seawolves and one their coaches seemed very pleased with, saying “Tonight was a good performance for us,”  and that “We’re happy with the result.” The Seawolves’ three goals match their season high and guide them at a 6-7-1 overall record and an even 5-5 record for non-conference games.

The Seawolves now look to focus in on their conference opponents, their next match being on Sunday against Hartford at 2 p.m. in LaValle Stadium.