Men’s tennis wraps up fall season at ITA Regional

In the last and perhaps most difficult test of the fall schedule, the Stony Brook men’s tennis team drove around the Long Island Sound up to Yale University for the ITA Northeast Regional.

Facing off against the best players from the northeastern United States, the Seawolves were up against stiff competition from the likes of Columbia University, Harvard University and St. John’s University. Without the entire team being selected to make the draw, two members of the team played in the qualifying draw, attempting to claw their way into the main draw.

Sophomore Marcelo Locatelli and freshman Alexandre Felisa both needed two wins to advance into the main draw, with Felisa doing just that. After Locatelli dropped a tight straight setter against eventual qualifier MJ Every of St. John’s, Felisa came up against St. Bonaventure’s Eduardo Irizarry, who he quickly ousted in straight sets. When facing seeded Dan Davies of Princeton University, Felisa clawed back from a set down to out-do the Ivy Leaguer 7-5 in the third and final set, propelling him into the main draw.

Joining sophomore Jose Morales and freshman Raphael Termat, both teammates, in the main draw, the trio faced a tough test against the best college players in the area. Playing Penn, Binghamton and Buffalo players respectively, each Seawolf made a tough battle of it, taking the first set in each match before falling to their opponents.

In doubles action, the Seawolves had two doubles squads, with Morales teaming up with Locatelli, and the freshman duo of Termat and Felisa. Both fought against tough teams, with the duo of Morales and Locatelli falling against a seeded duo from Brown, and Termat and Felisa dropping a contest against Marist.

Done for the fall season, Stony Brook returns to action in 2014, opening their season against familiar foe ASA College at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center on Feb. 3. For those looking to catch a glimpse of the team on campus, the first home match of the spring schedule is on April 2 against local Hofstra University, just steps away from LaValle Stadium.